Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been shopping 2013 limited 2.5 Outbacks. Will be my first Subaru. I noticed one unusual thing and have looked through the forum but not found anything about this.

In the middle of the dash gauges is an LCD display on the Limited. It does a cool graphic when the car starts, but once running seems to only have the mileage, gear selector, and gas mileage gauge displayed. There are controls on the steering wheel that seem to appear to control this display, but playing with them seems to only bring up an engine hours display.

Am I suffering from user error or is this the only capability of this display? Seems like more might be coming in the future.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You are right about that, it also displays some settings for the screen and eyesight.

I haven't fully researched it yet

·
Registered
396 Posts
I dinked around a lot with it today. Seems like the only settings that can be adjusted on the screen are things like gauge sweep on startup, eyesight, light sensor, etc. No nifty hidden displays as far as I could tell. The only extra thing I could make pop up is a timer or something.
Too bad, the screens in other cars I've been in have a plethora of display options. Subaru could've done a lot more this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I suspect that if you know the hidden handshake it will tell you more in the test mode. Most recent vehicles have it for the techs to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
The 05-09 cars have a full OBD scanner accessible via secret handshake. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a similar facility in the new one.

·
Registered
466 Posts
In my Limited it essentially just shows the trip time and a few other settings. It's mostly there for eyesight which I don't have. In the Limited without eyesight, it's essentially nice to look at it. Alot of people have actually commented on how nice the screen looks when they get in my car.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
In many cars you can get to the secret mode by holding the trip reset before turning the ignition on.

Even if the capability isn't there now doesn't mean someone won't hack it later. After all the car hasn't been out that long yet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks gang! I was worried that either I wasn't doing something right or that there was a defect in the car I was test driving.

It's a nice thought that this would have diagnostic info, but isn't this just a feature on the Limited? I would think that if they added a diagnostic feature for service they would have included it on all models.

My guess is that they will feature this up in the future, including things like detailed engine information, messages telling tire pressure, oil change notification, etc. I did cross research the Volvo XC70 (way more money, way lower gas mileage) and they have about the coolest display called 'My Car' that I could ever imagine.

Anyway, my followon question is, how does Subaru generally deal with the owner experience as things improve on the cars? In this case, I would think that the display, processor, and memory are all there, and they could add function by flashing software. Are they inclined to do that?

I was thinking I might wait a few months to see if future 2013 builds do more with this, but I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and buy.

Thanks all for your information. As I become a 'Subie Newbie' I'll do what I can on this forum to give back.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You probably won't see any of those upgrades on a 13 and probably not until the next gen in a couple years. I've never heard of Subaru doing mid years changes.

Subaru seems to be very good about listening to their customers. They changed the roof racks due to people complaining that they weren't compatible with many attachments, they did add memory seats to SAP cars, but most of all(and the biggest thing)they changed the ride/handling which was a complaint from many people.

I see no reason to wait unless you can hold out for the next gen. Buy now if you're ready! My 2011 OB was my first subaru, then had a 2012 Impreza, and just traded that for my 2013 OB. This is by far my favorite Subaru I've owned and I'm loving it! I'm hoping to keep this one for a long time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carlvr87, thanks for the input. We tend to keep our cars 10+ years (the Outback will replace a 1999 Porsche), and to make this work, we tend to buy models that are several years matured, which the 2013 certainly seems to be!

One question for you, I like many of your mods, particularly the puddle lights and the interior illumination kit that's on your wish list. Are these mods sellable directly by Subaru for do-it-yourselfers, or are they only installable by the dealers? If sellable directly, did you install them yourself, and if so, how difficult was it?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm not very electronically inclined, so I wasn't going to mess with it. The dealership installed the puddle lights when the car came in and when I do get the illumination kit, I'll have the dealership do it too. It involves taking alot apart and I believe someone posted a write up on here.

The puddle lights look cool, but are great for me because I leave for work when it's still dark and my garage is dark. They help me see around the car since my garage is narrow. The illumination kit looked great in my 2011 and I can't wait to get it again. I believe it had a light in the cupholder, 1 under the passenger side of the dash, and another under the drivers side.

To answer your question, you can buy them directly from a subaru dealership or anywhere online. Shop around as dealers seem to set their own prices. Subarupartwarehouse.com has a 20% off sale right now that I think ends soon. Another option you could do is have them include those accesssories in the sale price when you negotiate. Ask them to throw them in or install them for free.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Carlvr87, thanks for the input. We tend to keep our cars 10+ years (the Outback will replace a 1999 Porsche), and to make this work, we tend to buy models that are several years matured, which the 2013 certainly seems to be!

One question for you, I like many of your mods, particularly the puddle lights and the interior illumination kit that's on your wish list. Are these mods sellable directly by Subaru for do-it-yourselfers, or are they only installable by the dealers? If sellable directly, did you install them yourself, and if so, how difficult was it?
Sorry to steal the topic but I get a kick out of your post because I've done same. My 1999 was mid-life tweak to gen 3 4Runner and the 2013 Outback is sort of same.

I would be more concerned about phone and GPS integration than the basic display in the dash.

Enjoy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
imwjl
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing