Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2001 outback died on me getting on the freeway , it stopped getting fuel , it will crank but will not turn over, everyone thought it was fuel pump which I replaced but still wont fire .. Any suggestions ???

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
my 2001 outback died on me getting on the freeway , it stopped getting fuel , it will crank but will not turn over, everyone thought it was fuel pump which I replaced but still wont fire .. Any suggestions ???
moved thread, (and had to approve it by hand).

seems like your fuel pump came apart, and you need a new one or a used one. (edit: did it pop apart?)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html

the original oring breaks, and when it does the cap blows off and deforms so you can't use it again. in the thread I linked there it describes the problem.

so even if you can round up a used pump, maybe get a new matching "viton" o-ring and swap it out before it happens again.

edit: and I wonder if your 2nd pump (new or used) is getting prime. did you pull the hoses off the fuel filter under the hood? (those get hard so pulling and putting them back on the fluted tips may require a new line).

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
how long since the car's timing belt system was serviced?

if you squirt some starting fluid in the intake while cranking, you may be able to test if it is really fuel-starved.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I would start by testing the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. No guarantee the new pump is not DOA.

Next I would be checking for a failed fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Anyone have the correct 0-ring size numbers? I'd like to order a couple (McMaster-Carr should have them) to have in hand before pulling my pumps apart. Gen 2 OBs.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
Anyone have the correct 0-ring size numbers? I'd like to order a couple (McMaster-Carr should have them) to have in hand before pulling my pumps apart. Gen 2 OBs.
read through that thread I linked.

a metric 928 ?? made of viton (???)

catalogs sell them in groups of 10. but you can pass along the spare ones on the classifieds here for some paypal bucks.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Found it. Thanks.

PS - Beware of many o-rings sold on Ebay - they will most likely be Chinese made, and of poor quality. I go through a few thousand viton o-rings a year with one of my racing products, and no way would I trust them in those applications. You might get away with them in this static application, but be aware that they can take a set in a year or two and start leaking again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts