Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Having written insurance for a few years, I saw the SoA alliance with Liberty Mutual enticing enough to quote home and auto with them.

Allstate is my current supplier, they have been untouchable - Farmers, State Farm, Hartford, Geico and LibMu were all considerably (at least 10%) higher over the last couple of years. My friend, who currently writes for State Farm keeps telling me the Allstate's 5+ year discounts are great.

So, Liberty Mutual is $36 less over the year this time.

Now, changing to save $36 is risky. If we were to make a serious claim while being relatively new to them, there's a chance that we'd be dropped. Allstate has gotten our money for 6 years now, they'd be less tempted to cancel us.

LibMu's original quote (with my 98 OB and wife's p.o.s. 05 Toyota Sienna) was $150 less, replacing the 98 with the 11 OB and it wasn't as great of a deal.

One thing that Liberty Mutual did do is suggest an increase in coverage. I had cut coverages because I was unemployed and I forgot to raise them back up!

Also, try getting a quote with a really low ($50) comprehensive/Other than collection deductible. I only pay about $1.50 a month extra over a $500 deductible's rate... The first windshield replacement will be the equivalent of 10 years of that extra $1.50!!! Comprehensive claims are "no fault" so the price is usually good. Collision deductibles are always more expensive (there's more damage in an accident like a collision).

sean

·
Registered
550 Posts
So I assume the question is "Do you fellow Subaru owners recommend (or not) Liberty Mutual?"

I also have that question. I'd like to see some responses. Coming close to renewal time for me and I am going to do a little research on quotes.

P.S. I love those Liberty Mutual ads. But how would they actually treat me?

·
Registered
492 Posts
After seeing the Liberty Mutual/Subaru partnership discount, I too checked out their deals. I'm currently on State Farm with nine vehicles and our house. It gets complicated comparing the two, so I don't have all the pieces yet. State Farm has Comprehensive and Uninsured motorist on each vehicle, while Liberty Mutual (and Cincinnati Mutual, another independent I used for many years) only have these listed once for each driver.

Two Subarus and the Mercedes look to be a few hundred less.
Three scooters look similar.
House is $20 less.
Vintage MGA and Vespa are not eligible for Liberty Mutual, so if I take them from SF, I'll have to add them to Hagerty, which is slightly less, but doesn't offer seasonally storing like SF, so ends up more.
And lastly, my daughter has her own car covered under her name, but gets multi-car discount with me through SF, which is not an option with Liberty Mutual.

So, while it looks like it might save a hundred or more each year, I'm not sure it is worth the hassle of making the changes due to the complexity. I've never had Allstate quote, so I may try that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
From this thread is where I learned about the Liberty Mutual partnership with Subaru. I have been a Liberty Mutual customer since 1996 and I own a Subaru. I think I may call them on Monday to see if I am eligible to get any added discounts.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
number 41;319878"Do you fellow Subaru owners recommend (or not) Liberty Mutual?" I love those Liberty Mutual ads. But how would they actually treat me?[/QUOTE said:
My small sample of experiences:

In 1998 a woman caused a pile-up on the 405 freeway. My motorcycle was totalled (I wasn't quite totalled). The CHP wrote her two tickets.

She had LibMu insurance, and they fought me for months before they finally paid my claim.
Maybe it's because I wasn't THEIR customer, but their claims department was obnoxiously obstructionist (it was way more than $36 worth of aggravation!).

Several years after that, a guy in a pick-up truck backed over another motorcycle of mine (happily, I was at the dentist when it happened).

He had Progressive, and they were unbelieveably gracious about sending out an adjuster immediately and then quickly sending me a check for the damage. I was impressed.

When I shopped around several years later, Progressive's price was the best, and I didn't hesitate to switch to them.
I've made one small claim since (car vandalized), and again they were terrific.

Now I hardly even look at other insurance companies... My cousin is a new insurance agent though, so I had him give me a quote. He couldn't beat Progressive's price.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bimmer - I'll check Progressive if they offer homeowners. I've been lusting after Flo for a couple of years...

Allstate, though I wasn't planning on leaving them, made the adding of this car a horrible experience and I will go to LibMu. The LONGEST part of this purchase process was jumping through hoops in the Timmons Subaru lobby on the telephone waiting and waiting and waiting some more for Allstate to answer the call then listening to them confirm my information and my other car's info. for the fourth time...

No matter what an agent tells you, ADD the vehicle to your policy upon purchase! This rings (especially) true if you've dropped your previous vehicle because you've sold it! (Allstate tried to tell me this today after I told them I don't want chit-chat; They told me I could wait up to 5 days... Uh, no!) This also rings true in mandatory insurance states. Some jurisdictions will not forgive a failure to provide proof of insurance in the case of an accident or traffic stop. Oh, and if you have liability only on your current vehicle, you wouldn't be given full-coverage just because you bought a new car!

By the way, if you ever have problem with someone else's insurance not paying you, that is your own insurance company's responsibility. I'll misspell it here but your insurance should pay and they go through a process of subrogation. Sometimes, you must wait to pay for deductibles. I know Allstate had a time frame that, if it wasn't paid, they'd compensate me. There was no question of fault on that one though.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Allstate, though I wasn't planning on leaving them, made the adding of this car a horrible experience and I will go to LibMu. The LONGEST part of this purchase process was jumping through hoops in the Timmons Subaru lobby on the telephone waiting and waiting and waiting some more for Allstate to answer the call then listening to them confirm my information and my other car's info.
Wow. Once I log in to Progressive's website, then I can get an instant quote for adding a new vehicle...

The process is really easy, and maybe I'm just weird, but I find myself putting in vehicle after vehicle sometimes out of stupid curiosity.

By the way, if you ever have problem with someone else's insurance not paying you, that is your own insurance company's responsibility. I'll misspell it here but your insurance should pay and they go through a process of subrogation.
What insurance?

I had liability coverage, of course, but as a 25 yr. old male riding a 600cc sportbike, the annual comprehensive/collision premiums would have been equal to the value of the bike or more.

Several years later, I was in the same situation with Progressive, and they were infinitely better than LibMu.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been a LibMu costumer for years and have been very happy - but then again I haven't had any accidents or claims. I just bought my OB in Jan and no one mentioned a discount. Gonna be making a phone call I do believe.

·
Administrator
4,345 Posts
I have Esurance and was involved in an accident earlier this year. It was at night, in the rain, and I hit a guy on a bike, riding illegally without lighting, who rode his bike into a roadway in front of oncoming traffic and I just happened to be driving the vehicle that hit him even though I was in no way able to avoid the collision. I was not at fault, however, Esurance raised my premium over 40% with little explanation. They told me that because they had to assume 75% of the liability well my rates had to go up.

I've been with Esurance for 5 years and have never filed a claim or even got pulled over in that timeframe. One accident occurs and I'm getting fleeced :(

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I'm a creature of habit, so I've stayed with California State Auto Association (AAA) for 44 years.
Pleased with service and the rare claims I had over the years.
No tickets since 1973..
No collisions since 1970.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The company I work for use LM. Every time there is a claim where they need to pay they deny it. I think it is simply their policy to do this. They are cheap and they are a big hassle. I would not use them if they were $200 less, much less $36.

I have Pemco and they have a forgiveness policy in that one ticket or accident in a year will not raise your rates. I think they are only available in WA. A co-worker had Pemco and he hated them...because they dropped him...after his third total in 2 years... :gasp:

I also have such an awesome discount on my home everyone that sees my policy can't believe I pay so little for my coverage.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I've been with Nationwide for as long as I can remember, I was with Progressive before that. Nationwide was a better rate, and I've shopped around since then and haven't found a better rate. I'm on my own policy but my parents are with them as well and I think that gets us both a discount.

I'll also say this, I was rear-ended by someone insured by State Farm, they were VERY easy to work with. I had had my insurance company estimate the damages, once SF assumed liability for the accident they just had my quote transferred to them and direct-paid the shop for the repairs and rental.

·
Registered
496 Posts
State Farm sucks. I won't bore you with the details, but I wouldn't go back to them if they were the last insurance company on earth.

We have had American Family insurance since 1994 couldn't be happier with their service. I shopped hard (like at least 20 different companies) when we moved to St. Louis and their rates were the best I could find.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Cost is only part of insurance. Service is just as important as how much you pay. I am willing to pay a bit higher premium if it means that I will get better help.

I have used State Farm for over a decade. When I lived in Maryland, they sucked!! I almost dropped them because they refused to even answer simple questions and service was terrible. I moved before I found a company I liked.

When I moved to West Virginia, the State Farm agent here is amazing. They may be a bit more than than others, but they regually go out of their way to make things easy. My wife' car was backed into by a semi while it was parked. The trucking company had a weird setup where they bought it though a broker in Maryland, but the real insurer was out of Scottsdale, Arizona. It was a mess trying to get anyone to answer any questions, but they sure had no problem calling, harassing and insulting me or my wife. I told my agent about it. He went ahead and made all arrangements to get the car to the shop, and they covered getting it fixed. They handled all the stuff involved with collecting from the trucking company and their ever so "delightful" agent in Arizona. He gave us orders not to talk to any of the various parties of the trucker and got them to stop hounding us.

It's like those Allstate commercials with that Mayham guy. You get what you pay for with cheap insurance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I might switch to Geico. My old Toyota was rear ended and totaled last year. I was going to junk the car since it was 17 years old, but a friend suggested I contact her insurance company. They came out, and gave me 3k for the junker. I was very impressed at how they treated me considering I was not their customer. Sometimes saving a few dollars is not always the best way to go.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My wife and I had AAA for years. No tickets, no accidents, yet every year the premium went up. Finally got tired of it and we shopped around. Geico beat AAA prices hands down and we have been with them for probably 10 years now - auto, homeowners, and umbrella. Their customer service is second to none - 24/7. I highly recommend them! :29:

I might switch to Geico. My old Toyota was rear ended and totaled last year. I was going to junk the car since it was 17 years old, but a friend suggested I contact her insurance company. They came out, and gave me 3k for the junker. I was very impressed at how they treated me considering I was not their customer. Sometimes saving a few dollars is not always the best way to go.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I've had Geico for 7 years and couldn't be happier. I've had a couple windshield claims and a small <$500 body damage claim from tornado damage a few years back.

For the tornado damage, it was less than my deductible, but I was originally quoted $800+, so I called and they sent an adjuster who told me it was less, when I showed him my quote he said they were overcharging me and told me to file a claim and take his paperwork, since it was an "act of god" it wouldnt' raise my rates. I saved $300 on the repairs and got a free rental for the week.

I have quoted other places over the years and noone can ever match my quote at Geico, but even if they could it would have to be quite a bit of savings for me to move. Partly because I have had a 2 or 3 speeding tickets in the last 5 years. Geico still consders me a "safe driver" because I have had no at fault claims. They don't tend to care about my lead foot on the highways. I also have accident forgiveness now too, it would take a few years to earn that elsewhere as well.

Their app is awesome too, I faxed myself an insurance card and it took less than 30 seconds to send it, on a saturday.

I think alot of it comes down to the circumstances of your claim though. I was dropped by Allstate in college because I had too many claims, however the claim that pushed me over the limit wasn't my fault (per the police report), but since the other people had Allstate too, they dropped me because they had to pay out. For that reason I'll stay away from them.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts