Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
$647/yr. . $250 deductible on Collision and comprehensive, $0 Deductible on glass. Maximum coverage on everything else. No accidents, no moving violations, no other claims. Coverage neither went up or down when moved from Venza to OB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't have a Subaru (yet? I came here to ask questions) but I will comment on this topic since it's somewhat general in nature.

This is how I think insurance rates work:

On liability part of insurance has a lot to do with how much damage YOUR vehicle might do to OTHER vehicles and the people inside. A big full size van might have higher liability costs because a 1/2 ton or greater van running into a mid sized sedan is going to do considerable damage and the risk of injury is much higher.

On the medical coverages (for yourself), if your vehicle is tougher than the average, your payment should be lower since you're at less of a risk of being hurt in an accident, regardless of fault.

On the comprehensive part, I think it depends on the value of the car mostly. The newer and more your car is worth, the more likely you're going to file a claim for a dent and scratches from someone running a shopping cart into the side while you were inside shopping. Or from a cracked windshield. The risk level for theft, vandalism, etc also has to do with it.

On the collision part, I think it has to do with how well your car will survive if you accidentally drive it into a tree, in relation to it's value.

There are many other factors such as your age, where you live (in relation to the traffic density and number of accidents), how much you drive per year, your driving record, accidents where you were responsible OR where you filed a claim on your *own* insurance.

Despite quotes asking you for all accidents in the past 2-3 years including ones where you weren't at fault, they don't care if you didn't have to dun your own insurance company for any money. I've been in 3 relatively minor accidents, all the fault of the other drivers, and I have never had a rate hike over them. I always report any such accidents but agents you get quotes from in person tend to say "oh, that doesn't count then".

The only insurance claim I have ever done on my own insurance was way back in 2008, with State Farm, and that was for hail damage on a car that was 5 years old at the time. I pocketed most of the money though since the dents were so minor and it already had some minor paint and body defects. Even so, everyone was getting a rate hike simply because of the massive influx of claims. Even if you didn't have damage, you'd be seeing a rate hike to cover them paying out for everyone elses damage. My mom's car was under her carport and didn't suffer any damage (and it was much older..) but her rates went up on the next renewal, as did mine. I left and went to Allstate after that for lower rates.

State Farm actually set up a drive-thru command center in a big church's overflow parking area complete with porta-potties, free bottles of water (it was summer in the south), tent shelters for shade and an office trailer with A/C running from a big generator because they had so many claims to deal with from that hail storm.

I'm with Geico on my current car and Progressive for motorcycle (1988, 250cc) insurance. Allstate wanted over $100/mo on the car while Geico wanted about $55/mo. On the motorcycle, Allstate wanted over $600/yr (paid out over 12 months) for similar coverages as Progressive was offering for $227/yr (paid all at once). The Allstate agent said, in regards to Progressive's rate, "I don't know how they do it." I took in a printout of the Progressive quote for her to use as a reference for a quote with them so she could see the same coverages at almost 1/3 the cost.

On the subject of a Subaru insurance quote, a Progressive quote on a 2001 Outback VDC, it's about $25/mo higher for the same coverages with Geico on my 1993 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback. You would think it would be equal or less since the Geo is a far less safe car. No anti-lock brakes, no airbags, etc. However, it's going to cause less damage to most other vehicles on the road since it's so small. It's worth so little in value that if I ever do make much of a claim on it with my own insurance policy, they won't have to pay very much out so it's low risk. A 2001 Subaru by all measurements is worth more money and will cause more damage to another vehicle so the cost to insure it is higher.

That's also why motorcycle insurance is so cheap for liability. You're highly unlikely to total another vehicle by running your motorcycle into it or cause the occupants severe medical injury. Now, medical, comp/collision is another thing all together. You pay out the nose for those coverages on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in the Towson area of Maryland. I pay $785 a year for my '15 OB with Safeco....about the same as my previous vehicle, an '11 GMC Acadia..........
WOW. I'm not a million miles from you, have a great driving record, lots of discounts, pretty meh coverage and I'm paying nearly DOUBLE that with Geico. What sort of deductible do you have? Do you have off-street parking?

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Y'all seen the new consumer reports?

According to them, insurance companies have backed away from using your driving history to set rates. Now all they care about is your credit rating, at least in the 47 states where they are allowed to.

I thought it was a pretty good read.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Y'all seen the new consumer reports?

According to them, insurance companies have backed away from using your driving history to set rates. Now all they care about is your credit rating, at least in the 47 states where they are allowed to.

I thought it was a pretty good read.
I have a good credit rating too..... :-/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there a difference with insurance on OB with the Eyesight option ? It seems like it should for the extra safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I'm in SE PA - 48y/o male with a clean driving record and excellent credit (how most insurance is based anymore) - I pay $980/yr total, for full coverage on 2 cars - my '08 3.0R, and my '05 Porsche 987.

I use Travelers Ins Co - if it matters.

Cheers'

·
Registered
156 Posts
$740 a year (I just dropped my liability deductible from $500 to $100 assuming I will be paying a new windshield more than likely.....that added $36 a year)

·
Registered
165 Posts
$92/month for full coverage with $0 deductable glass coverage for both my OB and my Wife's 04 Saturn Ion.

Through Progressive with the Diamond discount level or whatever.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My wife and I have the 2013 3.6R Outback and 2013 Mazda CX9 insured through USAA with a $100 deductible with full comprehensive and collision. Our bill runs about $146 a month for the two cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kind of on old thread but anyways...My dad has been an insurance agent for 45+ years. It's a common misconception that your insurance rates will go down after you buy a new, safer car. Emphasis on the NEW. If nothing in your profile changed from your last premium renewal (which are almost always re-calculated/re-evaluated every six months even if you pay monthly), you have the same drivers, same address, no tickets, etc...your car insurance rate will almost ALWAYS go up, mainly because the cost of replacing your NEW car will be more than replacing your old car in cases of TOTAL LOSS. Over time, the rate will go down because the value of your car will depreciate (and assuming all other factors in your profile stay the same).

The second major factor affecting your car insurance rate after you buy a new car is the auto insurance "index rating" of your new car (I forget the official term), which exists for every make and model vehicle on the market, in terms of insurance risk, like how likely is it to be stolen, wrecked, etc, regardless of location. I looked up the rating last year for the Subaru Outback, and it was low compared to other cars. Sports cars were higher, and I think Toyota's were higher. Sorry, I don't remember the website but it was nothing secret/propriatary but it did take me forever to find that index rating info. Every auto insurance provider will use this rating in some fashion or another when calculating your rates.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I might suggest trying a broker that sells more than one line and combine home with auto. I've been with the same local agent for many years and have gotten Hartford, Safeco, Grange, and Kemper through them. A single line agent is just that; they can only sell what they represent. When Hartford jacked my rate when I got the OB, they moved me back to Kemper where I had been the year previous and saved me $400 on Hartford's $1800 (annual) combined home/auto bill (and there is also a second car in there). I've looked at Progressive, GEICO, etc. and they have always been much higher. If you can pay the annual charge all at once, that helps, too. HTH

Breaking the Outback out, it's about $425 annually, 250/500, ded - 1000 coll/250 comp.

·
Administrator
4,345 Posts
I wanted to revive this thread as I am now in a similar situation that I was in back in 2013 with my insurance. So I've been with Amica for six years, no issues and I've never filed any claims, and since renewing my policy after having officially declared residency in Wisconsin my yearly premium jumped $326. I don't know if that does not sound bad to some but I was told when I called in to make the change that my premium would only increase by $58, mind you this is simply from having moved from Illinois to Wisconsin.

Oddly enough ever since I made the call to make the change I have been bombarded with mailings from other insurance companies offering lower quotes. I don't know if it is worth it to say give Liberty Mutual a shot? The only benefit I have gotten out of Amica is their dividend program whereby you receive a check every year because part of your insurance premium is invested and you receive a return on your investment. It is nice but it is usually above $100 but still far short of $200. Perhaps say if my dividend check next year were closer to $200 it might change my mind.

Maybe I'll just call on Monday for further clarification.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Liberty mutual has been far and away much more expensive than other insurers. AAA up until this year has been in the same boat but have been competitive this year.

Every year, my insurance agency knows to survey the current insurance offerings and get the best price for the best coverage. I bundle the home, 3-autos and umbrella policies. I was paying $377/year for my 2016 outback. When I changed out the ‘16 with the ‘19 Outback, it went up $84. And that’s for highest coverage available with low deductibles.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Our insurance company is Travelers, but after one auto accident (hit and run in the middle of the night on our street) and one hail claim on our roof, we are switching. The roofing company said they have the most problems with Shelter and Travelers paying claims on time and for the amount required. Stay away.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have been with Geico ever since I left California (10 years ago). While in L.A. I was insured with Mercury. I just got a quote for my 3 cars (I do that each and every year) and the Safeco's quote was about 60% higher (for 6 months) than my current insurance with Geico. So I will stay put with Geico. They handle claims quickly with reputable body shops (or body shops of your choice) so I have no complaints. I read that USAA is the best but I don't qualify for that one and I have no way of comparing the premiums. I get bombarded with unsolicited AARP quotes - I guess they tapped into the Government or Social Security Administration and figured out, how old you are. I've checked their pricing and it is outrageous. I've concluded that AARP is just another "insurance agency" - they must be getting hefty commissions from all Insurance Companies that they push...
Safeco is owned by liberty and a horror to deal with as a policy holder

·
Administrator
4,345 Posts
So I just merged a few car insurance threads and renamed the new conglomerate thread, all similar and just as charming as one another in how helpful they were to read through.

I shopped around online today and so far Geico has come in being the winner of the quote war being $17 less per month than my current policy. I'm not sure it is worth switching considering Amica's dividend plan which will likely compensate me enough to make up most, if not all of that difference. I'm still thinking that if I call in and talk to a human being I might get a better result. We'll see and I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Liberty Mutual SUCKS. I was with them for like 2 years and out of nowhere they cancelled me because of a DUI that showed up on my record. I called them to argue but to no avail. I even tried to provide them with my actual driving record that showed no such ticket but they didn't care. Allstate cancelled our homeowners after Ivan, so we lost the multi-policy discount. We are now with SF, and get a pretty good rate, full coverage, low deductibles, all the good stuff for about $700 per year with me the old man driving, no tickets in over 20 years.

·
Administrator
4,345 Posts
I wanted to follow up to say that I clarified things with Amica and came to find out that my policy had been extended four months so the $326 was to cover those four months and the additional rate increases for having a Wisconsin policy.

At the end of the day my rates when up from $72 to $74 dollars per month. I will be sticking with Amica.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts