Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AJAC (Automobile Journalist's Association of Canada) has named their car of the year this morning at the Toronto Auto Show.

The Ford Mustang GT was named Car of the Year and also got the award for Best New Design.

Many were surprised as they expected the 300C to win. BTW, I didn't realize this but apparently the 300C is based on the Mercedes E Series! Mind you, I much prefer Mercedes styling to the tank-like design of the Chrysler.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
4,255 Posts
Yea that doesn't surprise me with the Mustang :rolleyes:

Historically, aren't Mustangs really popular up North? I've always seen them in many Canadian movies and they seem to play the role of the "Hero's Car" many times.

I really can't see how any RWD car could even be nominated as car of the year up there, and you say we Republicans don't make sense :p I'd really like an explaination on why the Mustang would have won over the 300C, the 300 has soo much more value!

Yup we Americans sure like the tank look of the 300, all us warmongerers down here... :p

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
4,255 Posts
sduford said:
It won because, and I quote: "It is a blast to drive".
:28: I guess they never drove a Legacy GT or an OBXT :rolleyes:

Oh and I have taken a 2005 Mustang GT for a spin once... and it would get 0wn3d by a LegGT ;) Still, you just can beat that balls to the wall rush that the 300C (HEMI!!!) gives you with a simple dropping of the lead foot... :runaway:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
The brand spankin' new Stang is really a nice looking car. For the last week I have seen one of the new ones on the highway coming toward me. Two huge stripes up the hood and such. Nice looking. Brian

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hero Boots said:

:28: I guess they never drove a Legacy GT or an OBXT :rolleyes:

Oh and I have taken a 2005 Mustang GT for a spin once... and it would get 0wn3d by a LegGT ;) Still, you just can beat that balls to the wall rush that the 300C (HEMI!!!) gives you with a simple dropping of the lead foot... :runaway:
Yeah but the 300C looks too much like a redneck car for my taste.

The Mustang on the other hand brings back fond memories...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, it's official, I have finished the importing process!

I now have Ontario ownership and plates. As promised, here is the itemized comparison......

What I paid, using the actual exchange rates-----------

Van Bortel 2.5i = 22,765 @ 1.2125 = 27,603 cdn
Freight = 580 @ 1.2125 = 703 cdn
Misc. Fees (e.g. trip permit, doc.) = 78 @ 1.2125 = 94 cdn

GST (7% of 22,765 @ 1.2383) = 2,030 cdn
Air Tax = 100 cdn
RIV Fee = 182 cdn
PST (8% of 22,765 @ 1.2383) = 2,320 cdn

Grand Total = $33,032 cdn

What I think I would have paid in Canada ---------

Cdn 2.5= 30,700 (best price I was able to get through half-hearted negotiations. May have been able to get if for 30,500 ?!?) vs. list of 32,995

Freight = 1,195
Cdn Misc. Fees = 50 (estimated)
GST (7% of 30,700 + 1,195 + 50) = 2,236
Air Tax = 100
PST (8% of 30,700 + 1,195+ 50) = 2,556

Grand Total = $36,837 cdn

Total Savings = $ 3,804

Karl and Van Bortel were fanstasic, and so far my first Subaru experience has been a great one! Now have 1000 miles on the car, and love it. I got a few options, but did not include them in any of the numbers above to compare equivalent cars. I did not have to do anything for the car to pass Canadian inspection!

JI

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Congratulations jri!

And let's hear it for Van Bortel's and Karl (but not so much for Subaru of Canada).

Is Karl the salesman at VB whose handle here is NYSaabGuy?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes,

Karl's handle is NYCSaabGuy. I while ago, I posted a question on this site to ask if anyone had imported a car to Canada, and Karl suggested I contact him, so you could say that this site facilitated the sale.

JR

P.S. Apologies, I meant to post this in the Canadian Survey thread, not the Car of the Year.

P.S.S. A Canadian TV Show (Motoring 2005) picked the Legacy / Outback as the winner of the "Crossover" category, over the Mazda 6 Wagon and that new Ford vehicle (the name escapes me).

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
jri said:
Yes,

Karl's handle is NYCSaabGuy. I while ago, I posted a question on this site to ask if anyone had imported a car to Canada, and Karl suggested I contact him, so you could say that this site facilitated the sale.

JR

P.S. Apologies, I meant to post this in the Canadian Survey thread, not the Car of the Year.

P.S.S. A Canadian TV Show (Motoring 2005) picked the Legacy / Outback as the winner of the "Crossover" category, over the Mazda 6 Wagon and that new Ford vehicle (the name escapes me).
We've been trying to get Karl to change his handle to "portaltovanbortel", but to no effect yet.

P.S. I was going to mention that this seemed out of place. You might want to copy it over there since some lurkers might be interested in your result.

P.P.S. "Freestyle." And kudos to "Motoring 2005," even if SUbaru of Canada charges too much!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Mudge
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing