Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Subaru Fans. My wife/daughter and I have a nice little old 99 corolla (going 30-32 MPG highway/$20 every 2-3 weeks)and has 75000 miles on it and wanted to possibly upgrade to a bigger car. We are looking for a midsize such as a chevy equinox or comparable(USED).
My Question is: are american car's as bad they as they say they used to be with tranny issues/electrical etc. my Father in law has a 2003 GMC and he has had the AC panel/blowers fail as well as the alternator.
I would trade in my current car and get like 750 or so, i did some comparison and saw the :
Subaru Outback
Chevy Equinox
Honda CRV

Is the subaru more reliable/over time versus the chevy/honda/cheaper to maintain?
Any american car owners who can chime in per reliability/kid safety factor/replacment costs etc?
Thanks in advance, David from ny

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
LOL My brother was just complaining about his matrix/corolla out lasting his interesting in having it. 230,000 miles and showing no signs of slowing down.

If you want larger the Camry is larger and the Legacy is a little bigger in the older generation models.

Avoid the Cute UTE if your thinking its safer than the Corolla. Making a Honda Civic taller with a taller center of gravity doesn't translate to safer it translates to it handling worse and an inexperienced driver can put it on its side or lid just that much easier.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Sell your car privately (Craigs list) and you get get 1000's more.

I can only speak anecdotally. My ford rangers (1995, 1999, 2003) were all excellent and had over 150k each after I was done with them and all ran well.

Check out consumer reports if you want repair history. That's really the only way to get 'real' info on this subject.

Tom

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Older Subaru especially the 4 cyl ones have head gasket issues. All Subaru comes awd and awd in general have lower MPG and slightly more $ to maintain(but not that much).
Saw you,re in NY, if you near buffalo with those crazy amt of snow, then awd is the way to go.

Otherwise, 2wd cars from Honda and Toyota is very reliable, honda accord, Toyota Camry and 2 good choices,
Subaru, if you do not want to deal with changing Head gasket, get post 2006 Subaru 4 cyl or any model year Subaru with the 6cyl. That engine is bullet proof but lower MPG.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
Consumer Reports' recent data on vehicles within all brands listed Subaru as a close runner-up / #2 (ahead of Toyota and Honda) to Lexus, which was their top-rated automotive manufacture.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Otherwise, 2wd cars from Honda and Toyota is very reliable,
honda accord, Toyota Camry and 2 good choices ...
Honda and Toyota have very good reliability and competitive
pricing AS NEW CARS, but command ridiculously high prices
on the used car market. So, they're excellent choices for the
consumer who buys a new car every 3 years or thereabouts
and reaps the benefits of low depreciation.

OTOH, Mazda and Nissan are every bit as reliable, but with
less spectacular resale values -- so they tend to be a better
value as used cars.

Not sure where Soobie fits in. The poor history with 4-banger
HG failures would be a major concern to me in the used car
market. (I've had lots of 200k+ 15 year old Mazdas & Hondas
going back to the early 1980's without a single HG problem.)
I'd also be hesitant to buy a used AWD -- because I wouldn't
trust the previous owner(s) to be aware of AWD maintenance
requirements, such as matched tire sizes, etc.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Not sure where Soobie fits in. The poor history with 4-banger
HG failures would be a major concern to me in the used car
market. (I've had lots of 200k+ 15 year old Mazdas & Hondas
going back to the early 1980's without a single HG problem.)
I'd also be hesitant to buy a used AWD -- because I wouldn't
trust the previous owner(s) to be aware of AWD maintenance
requirements, such as matched tire sizes, etc.
Yup, but for many the lifted car SUV setup is much more attractive than the wimpy truck SUV setup, and that attraction is strong enough that it overrides a lot of other concerns, for better or worse.

Both of my Subarus had already seen 100k miles before I first sat in them.

Perception is a big part of the deal- people think of and remember stories relating to the old, unstoppable EJ22 engine and think that's what they'll get from an EJ25 until Mister Head Gasket pops by.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts