Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Also, congrats on your new addition! Almost over the 2 month hump... ;)
Thank you. So, what happens at two months? :)
I know that the first 3 months is considered the "4th trimester" and the baby is still getting used to the world.

At 7 weeks, our baby is only waking once at night which is nice. She eats like mad and sleeps less than before in the day. She's really starting to become interested in her mobiles and visual toys. We made is about 3.5 miles around the lake today in a BOB jogger (briskly walking since newborns shouldn't be jogged) before we had to call it quits! That was monumental.

Oops. sorry to take this off-topic. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you. So, what happens at two months? :)
I know that the first 3 months is considered the "4th trimester" and the baby is still getting used to the world.

At 7 weeks, our baby is only waking once at night which is nice. She eats like mad and sleeps less than before in the day. She's really starting to become interested in her mobiles and visual toys. We made is about 3.5 miles around the lake today in a BOB jogger (briskly walking since newborns shouldn't be jogged) before we had to call it quits! That was monumental.

Oops. sorry to take this off-topic. :rolleyes:
Sounds like things get somewhat easier -- and I say somewhat because everyone tells me that once you think you have things figured out, baby changes it up and throws you for a (new) loop -- after the first 6-8 weeks. I guess it depends on the child though. :) I'm about 3 weeks out from my due date, so I think if I were even walking half that by then, I would be pretty proud of myself! Congrats!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Hi, soon-to-be first-time mom here and I was wondering what car seats folks had installed in their 4th generation outbacks and specifically:

1) which car seats are installed and are they forward-facing (FF) or rear-facing (RF)?
2) where in the back row are they installed?
3) if installed in the outboard seats, how tall is the driver and/or front passenger?
4) is there any bracing against the seat back for RF seats?
5) are you using LATCH/super LATCH/seat belt?
6) how easy was it to install? did you have to get any special equipment, like extender straps, locking straps, or angle adjusters, to install it properly?

thanks, everyone! (i'll be sure to contribute once i get my car, which won't happen until mid-march... :()

We have a 16 month old daughter that started in a Keyfit 30 in the passenger outboard seat. We have now moved up to a Recaro Pro Ride (I think!) rear facing behind the driver. No problems with room for me, but it is hard to install. We used latch but had to roll up a towel to get the angle right. We hope to keep her RF for as long as possible until we swap her over to FF.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i w/CVT, Steel Silver
35 Posts
I'm seeing some people are using the rear facing car seats in the rear center? I thought the preferred location were either behind the driver or passenger side seats? We have a 6-month old, rear-facing on the rear passenger size in a Graco, Snug-Ride 30 using the latch system. I will also note that I have the base so tight that it actually is lifted up slightly at the end of the seat, but it's leveled correctly. I'm now wondering if I have gone about this all wrong?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
There has been great information here about the types of car seats, so I will not add anything. Instead, I’ll make a tip about keeping your car clean. My kid’s car seat is in the rear passenger side seat and installed with the latch system. Before installing it, I took a large beach towel and covered the top AND sides of the rear seat and tucked the towel in place. Hence none of the Subaru fabric is showing; every month I take the towel out and launder it. My little prince scampers up it with his dirty shoes everyday. I also purchased a canvas seatback (note BACK) protector and installed that on the passenger seat in FRONT of his car seat: kids LOVE kicking the seat in front of them with wet, muddy, filthy shoes. I recommend a seatback protector that wraps around to the front...those shoes seem to get everywhere. Those two actions have saved my Outback.

Christopher

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There has been great information here about the types of car seats, so I will not add anything. Instead, I’ll make a tip about keeping your car clean. My kid’s car seat is in the rear passenger side seat and installed with the latch system. Before installing it, I took a large beach towel and covered the top AND sides of the rear seat and tucked the towel in place. Hence none of the Subaru fabric is showing; every month I take the towel out and launder it. My little prince scampers up it with his dirty shoes everyday. I also purchased a canvas seatback (note BACK) protector and installed that on the passenger seat in FRONT of his car seat: kids LOVE kicking the seat in front of them with wet, muddy, filthy shoes. I recommend a seatback protector that wraps around to the front...those shoes seem to get everywhere. Those two actions have saved my Outback.

Christopher
I'm taking this a bit OT, but has anyone had any luck using a non-custom bench seat (dog seat) cover? I'm wondering if use of such a product would compromise the safety of a car seat assuming it has all the proper access points for LATCH and seat belts. (My thought is that in an accident, the car seat could slide a little more if the cover/towel/etc. isn't tacky enough or sufficiently secured to the seats.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm seeing some people are using the rear facing car seats in the rear center? I thought the preferred location were either behind the driver or passenger side seats? We have a 6-month old, rear-facing on the rear passenger size in a Graco, Snug-Ride 30 using the latch system. I will also note that I have the base so tight that it actually is lifted up slightly at the end of the seat, but it's leveled correctly. I'm now wondering if I have gone about this all wrong?
Have you had your install inspected? I would GUESS, and this is only a guess, that if the angle/level is correct and you're getting less than an inch of motion along the belt path (preferably less or none), that you're good to go.

I think with our Chicco, using a shoulder belt install, that it's more important to get the lap portion of the seat belt very tight instead of the lap AND the shoulder portion. We also found that the seat lifted somewhat with the shoulder portion totally tightened and ended up being more prone to loosening that way. (We used hard blows against the base to see how quickly the base loosened.) My husband, an engineer, was theorizing that tightening too much on the shoulder portion would actually introduce more movement in an accident given that it is not flat against the seat bottom and is actually forcing the seat up. Of course, I defer to any true experts on this board...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
That latch system is pretty butch, if properly installed and tightened (probably true for all good systems). Plus it has a third point that buckles down right next to your hatchtop - yes, a long belt holding the top of the car seat under tension stretching from the top of the seat to the hatch exit. Trick is to tension everything up real good before throwing the kid on there, after installing any towels or protective coatings.... It ain't going anywhere. Well, I hope, anyways...but my wife and I tug like mad to tighten up all the attachment points. :) Leaves an impression in the seat, I've noticed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1) which car seats are installed and are they forward-facing (FF) or rear-facing (RF)? Diono Radian RXT, forward facing
2) where in the back row are they installed? Passenger side
3) if installed in the outboard seats, how tall is the driver and/or front passenger? I'm 5'8, hubby is 6'
4) is there any bracing against the seat back for RF seats? n/a
5) are you using LATCH/super LATCH/seat belt? we're using SuperLATCH
6) how easy was it to install? did you have to get any special equipment, like extender straps, locking straps, or angle adjusters, to install it properly? Pretty easy, but the anchors in OB were hard to get to. No special equipment needed

ETA: I run a private community online for moms if you're interested. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
With the Marathon, one thing to note is that it's a tall seat. Once your child is a toddler, you may need to get a toddler seat so they can get in/out of the seat by themself. Our 4 year old either needs a lift from mom or dad (which usually causes one of us to bump our head) or to climb onto the backseat leather and then into the car seat.

When we have a real toddler seat in the car, the kiddo can jump into position without any help. The downside is that he hadn't figgured out the shoulder belt thing so we still have to lean back to buckle/unbuckle that.

With either seat, we always put it in the middle (preferred) or behind the passenger seat (if longer trip so kiddo doesn't turn his head watching a DVD). Passenger seat because my wife is shorter than I am so it leaves more room to prevent backset kicks.

Just remember if you put the seat next to the doors, activate the child lock. We also got the Britz Ez-cling (Amazon.com: Britax 2 Pack EZ-Cling Sun Shades, Black: Baby) for the rare supper sunny days in Seattle. They work great, but I wish they were a bit bigger. When not in use they do under the rear hatch mat.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
We have two Britax Boulevard 70's. One is a 2009 model and the order a 2011. We like the Britax product. They are USA made and are worth the extra money. I did a lot of research pror to purchasing. Both units are forward facing at this time. Convertible seats while they have the capability to be rearward facing its really difficult to get the babies in an out and they dont seem to be "designed" to be rearward facing even though they truly are. As for pumpkin seats we had the Chiccco Keyfit 30. It was a great unit for our son and daughter. My advice would be to get the pumpkin seat Chicco Keyfit unit, but keep it in the car and carry your baby in a sling, not in the pumpkin seat as no matter how buff you are those things are brutal on your back and frame in general. Oone thing AI will say is that with two there is no more room in the back of the outback. We think that once we can move one child to a booster we will gain a seat for an additional passenger!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
Thanks! Was there a reason why you elected the outboard (passenger-side) seat versus the middle?
Sorry I am just now answering this. We changed to an outboard (passenger's side) seat position when we got the new convertible seat for three reasons. 1. You have to strap the kid in with the seat in the car. This is hard when the seat is located in the middle because you have to try and lift the kid across your car and reach all the way in to buckle up. 2. It gives people more room on the driver's side rear position which is nice from a comfort standpoint. 3. We can fold the seat down on the driver's side for a little added room.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
We run center and driver side for our two kids primarily because Dad is the daily day care hauler. If mom did the every day pick up and drop off we would have the seats sitting left and right and not center due to the difficulty of hoisting a kid into the center spot. Though for me its not a big deal.

We keep the passenger side rear seat open given we haul a grand parent several times a week which case we fit two kids two parents and a grand parent in the car enough to make moving a kids seat to center position more of a hassle than its worth etc.

Also we have found on car trips having that passenger side rear seat space open it works as a nice changing table if the rear hatch is packed full ie no space for a quick diaper change. Also older sister often entertains younger brother not to mention at times a parent ends up sitting back there to entertain or feed a kid etc.

The nice thing is any earlier generation Outbacks were far too narrow to fit two seats and an adult the GEN 4 is now wide enough to support this type of use- which is why we replaced our old Subaru with the Gen4 to start with we needed the rear seat room / width to use the car more effectively

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
15 Posts
Awesome info in this thread. Please keep it coming (due in April). We're inheriting a less-than-one-year-old Graco Snugride 22 that my nephew just outgrew so haven't really done any research, but will probably need to get our own convertible seat for after that. Also very, very interested in strategies to keep my Limited leather looking pristine (I know, good fing luck with that, right?). Any other must have car accessories and brand/model recommendations -- mirrors, sunshades?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
LOL my 3yr old flipped out a few days ago when her little brother got his hands on her sandwhich. Which she was eating sort of she was beyond tired and mad about something etc. Anyway upon discovering her little brother was eating her lunch she flipped out taking it to volume 11 ha ha. Then proceeded to puke all over the place. The joys of having kids.

Seat protection? We got a cheap target eddybaur kids seat pad which hangs around the head rest has a back and bottom on it with a little netted pocket on the front that hangs down the front of the seat. This goes under the kids car seat and keeps most of the kid debri or puke etc off the car seat. Most!! Not all of it.
You need to pull the car seat out once in a while and do a clean up plus check the kids seats adjust for the growing kid etc and reinstall them. Thats about all you can do.

AS for the don't feed your kid in the car rule. LOL If your active parents and you go lots of places with kids in tow - you either don't go - or the kids end up eating in the car. So your choice on that rule. Besides its a Subaru not a freaking collectors car worth big money LOL. High end custom car seats will cost you around $1300 so if kid abused seats bother you - when they get older and don't screw up seats get the seat covers replaced

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
bradz one of the dads I see doing drop off has one in his prius. Goofy looking seat looked really pricy. Turns out he had major back issues and that seat was more or less the only way he could get the kid into and out of the car without putting him self in traction laying flat on his back.

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6r Limited
304 Posts
Sunshinkids Radian XTSL user here with super Latch. Great seat that is not near as bulky (can fit 3 across) as most yet consistently ranks at the very top of the list for car seats. Very easy to install. They are a narrow seat that takes up a lot less room. Downside is they are about the heaviest seat on the market. When my daughter was rear facing we used a Snugride 32.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My 3yr old for as long as I can recall has always loaded and unloaded the same way. I ended up with this approach after parking in tight city parking for so long where people leave little to no room to get the car door open. She puts both her arms over my one arm and I lift her in or out of the car with one arm - which allows me to stand sideways when space is tight and also door opening space is limited.

Done it that way for so long its not even a thought process - one handed unbuckle then she throws her arms over mine and I lift her out. For the center seat he's still in the snap and go type seat but almost too big for it. That is a passenger side exit opposite side from the older sister driver side exit. And is a two handed effort but at least you can get into the car and unload the kid and then squeeze out of the door vs having to get both shoulders through the door to do a two handed kid extraction or kid belting in effort.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Premium
53 Posts
I have a 21 month old. We started with the Graco Snugride 30 on the center rear seat using the seat belt. It was fairly easy to install and we had no issues.

When my daughter turned 1 years, we switched to the Britax Boulevard 70 RF install in the same center rear seat. In order to get a good install, I used a couple of towel underneath to get a better fit. The install was with the seat belt and the tether anchor was place on the end of the passenger seat railing.

Just last week, I changed the Britax Boulevard to front facing since my daughter getting heavier and taller. The front install was far easier to than the rear. Same install in the center seat but the tether anchor now is thru the rear gate center anchor point. One thing I have to admit, the Britax Boulevard is fairly wide so if you put it the center, it will make the outward seats feel really cramped.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts