Subaru Outback Forums banner

Car shopping need advise?

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  ByTor 
#1 ·
Loved my 2016 Volvo XC 70 for a lot of miles, but now time to get something new or slightly used. I'm looking at the Touring XT Outback and has a lot of what I like - practicality (dog, skiing, mountain biking, ....) Haven't test driven any other cars yet, but shopping online so to speak (due to corona ) I've been looking around at these cars which all vary in price, but offer something close in terms of what I'm looking for which is looks, reliability, fun, practical, and AWD. Any first hand experience or advice would be appreciated. thanks

Volvo V60 Cross Country or possibly XC60
Used - BMW X5 or X3
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
or ?

#2 ·
I have the 2020 Outback obviously. Any one of the cars or the OB would work for your use cases. Unless there is a specific reason for going with any particular model of car, my generic advice is going to be:

RAV4 > Outback > Volvo > BMW in that order.

My reason for this is purely based on reliability and cost of ownership in the absence of an over riding factor for going with a particular model.

In my case my reason for going with the OB was it will fit all my photography and camping gear while still allowing me to sleep inside if needed while camping.

#3 ·
The outback vs. rav4, IMO the Rav4 arguably is more reliable and cheaper to buy and own. The outback carries more stuff and has more capability off road/better AWD system and IMO is a nicer overall vehicle.

Have a look at Forester too. If the cost difference between Outback and RAV4 is meaningful, then it is worth a look. I think Forester is more a direct competitor with RAV4.

#4 ·
Just a note - only the Onyx edition of the 2020 Outback carries a full spare, all others carry a donut. If you do off road/camping, that is a massive consideration. Onyx also comes with front camera and Startex and XMode2 for the tricky offroad conditions. Thats whats important to me so I went with it and I am a "top of the trim" for most things and Onyx is like 3rd on the trim level.

Oh, lose the wireless charger, better and cheaper alternate options.

Luvin' my Onyx.

#6 ·
Test drove Rav4, 4runner, and Outbacks (2.5 and 2.4).

4runner - Highest reliability and longest lasting. Best off-roader. Worst gas mileage and worst daily driver. Rides like a truck because it is a truck.

Rav4 - loud engine noise. There's been quite a few complaints about the drive system which disengages AWD above a certain speed. Less room for passengers and gear than the other two. Best gas mileage.

Outback - 2.5 is louder (revs much higher) and lacks power/acceleration. Good cargo space, can sleep in back, always on AWD, middle of the 3 in off-road ability. Most comfortable daily driver of the 3.

I went with an Onyx, first Subaru, and love it.

#7 ·
Great insight, thank you all! It seems that the Outback has always been able to fill a narrow niche in the market, I just don't understand the roof rack? Seems like regular raised rails would provide much more versatility and owner satisfaction by putting things ( like wider bars) on the roof with more variety. Loving the looks of refinement in the new Outback though, and can't wait to drive one.

#9 ·
What would you put on the roof? I have a Thule receiver hitch rack for the bicycles. I have a low profile Inno Low Rider ski box for the roof that attaches easily to the integral crossbars. If you have some application where you need wide crossbars, you can put wide crossbars on it. I like having the integral ones. Over the last five years, I've had a number of times where I deployed them to carry something home. Crossbars stashed in my garage wouldn't have been very useful.

Given your list of cars, an Outback is the boring appliance car. This is about your ego, not about whether an Outback would fit perfectly well into a ski/cycle/dog lifestyle.

#8 ·
Since you are shopping virtually right now, suggest you check out the relevant forum sections where owners discuss their likes/dislikes. This gives you some clues on what to look for when you actually test drive the vehicles. In reality, try and just smile at the gushing new owners on any owners forum, because they are a little too starry eyed. And we all have lots of opinions.

Plenty of that here, and lots of it on the RAV forum. Also check out Consumer Reports, and many like the internet video based Alex on Autos.

As an aside, I don’t like the roof rack, either, but it probably wouldn’t stop me from buying a new Outback if I needed one. I have a 2019 OBT 3.6, which has a traditional rack system. Don’t know about the Volvo or BMW personally, but having driven a RAV for about 1000 miles I’d give it a big thumbs down.

Luck to you,

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I keep my box on the car most all of the time, along wit a bike rack, or two - up to 4 (pita)with th box removed.14,ft. long paddle board, ladders, wood also go up . What rack do you recommend to make wider bars ? I think my current ones are 58” and can slide fore and aft on raised rails to make further separation for better balance security . Ideally would like to take my current and plop them on new car. With these new cars my plan is(was) to add a hitch mount for bike rack that swings out to access the back cargo. Easier for bikes, and just keep box on top with possibly another bike or two or paddle board further increasing versatility. With wider bars I could do two bikes while keeping box on top or paddle board while keeping box on top. I like to keep box on top to put skis, muddy gear, garbage, or what have you because of dogs in cargo. I’m getting the XT Touring because I want that extra punch for spirited driving when desired and like the Nappa leather look and interior coloring. Right now a dealer is offering 3 Grand below invoice, so I don’t think it could get much better than that.

#12 ·
What rack do you recommend to make wider bars?
Here's a solution someone else found:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.