Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '19 Outback is 8 months old. Over the past 2 weeks I've had this happen 5 or 6 times. Turn key, engine turns, tachometer swings to the top, but does not come back to 2000 on the way down, but stops at zero (engine not running). Car has always started on the second try. When this usually happens, motor is warm (driven a half-hour prior). Never had this happen in 50+ years of driving. Will take it to my dealer, but hope they have experience with this. Comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you likely have a problem that needs to be addressed by the dealer. What you describe is definitely not common, but there was someone with a similar problem on a 2018 a couple months ago. Unfortunately, they never returned to post an outcome. Presumably it was fixed leaving them with no incentive to come back.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/506213-no-start-issue.html

·
Registered
545 Posts
If tach swings to the top, it sounds like an ignition problem. When cranking, the tach should show the speed the engine is cranking.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
That is not true. The dials all do a swing during startup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree.... this feature can be toggled off on the 2016. Maybe other models too. I believe the idea is to exercise the gauge's servo motor thru it's entire range

·
Registered
971 Posts
And the dial swing occurs before the engine is cranked. I've never paid attention to the tach when starting, so can't say if it's displaying anything until the engine actually starts.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If the tach does register the RPM while starting, and it probably does, I doubt the starter turns the engine fast enough to move the needle by much.

One place I just looked says typically ~200 RPM, which is faster than I would have guessed. I may have to look, in case I need this information for future reference.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both my tach and speedometer swing all the way up when first starting. The tach returns to "normal" and the speedometer to 0. I'll need to wait a week to get it to my dealer. Today was a total of 5 good starts, 1 re-start.

·
Super Moderator
25,277 Posts
if this were a old timey car I would suggest it were something that was not shutting down properly and not resetting. and then on the second turn of the key it is where it belongs.

things on old timey cars, like relays and springs. (each effected by temps of the operating engine / ambient air from a drive, a shut down and a cool down)

but this is a new fangled contraption,...that is only 8 months old, ....so I wish you the best of luck at the dealer of your choice.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Car has always started on the second try. When this usually happens, motor is warm (driven a half-hour prior). Never had this happen in 50+ years of driving.
Really?? Admittedly I do not have your extensive driving experience; as I only having had a license for the last 40 years, but I remember until the late 1980's that if often took 3-4 cranks to start a car. Sometimes you even had to do things with a choke lever and on some mornings I even had to ride the throttle to keep the car from stalling out until it warmed up.

But 50 years, I didn't know that those 1968 models always were so reliable that they always started on the first turn of the key.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds like a fuel pressure problem

Sounds like a fuel pressure problem

Or bad gas

:wink2:

·
Registered
453 Posts
The only time my car had trouble starting was the day after I washed it.

Moisture got somewhere it shouldn't have.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really?? Admittedly I do not have your extensive driving experience; as I only having had a license for the last 40 years, but I remember until the late 1980's that if often took 3-4 cranks to start a car. Sometimes you even had to do things with a choke lever and on some mornings I even had to ride the throttle to keep the car from stalling out until it warmed up.

But 50 years, I didn't know that those 1968 models always were so reliable that they always started on the first turn of the key.
Notice I pointed out "when the motor was warm". You said "until it warmed up". Think before you type.

·
Registered
545 Posts
That is not true. The dials all do a swing during startup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry I was not more explicit. The dials swing to full scale and back to zero when the ignition is turned on. But if you pause till after the dials are done with their turnon dance, then crank the engine, the tach will show the cranking speed until the engine catches and runs. In most cars these days, the tach barely has time to register before the engine fires and runs up to idle. So it's easy to miss. But if the car isn't starting, you will have more time to see if the tach shows cranking speed. If not, the ignition is not firing. If the tach shows the ignition working, start troubleshooting with the fuel system.

Since OP notices his starting problems after a short shut down, something is heat soaking. That can affect electronic ignition components or fuel. I just tossed up an old school way to make that first cut. Yes, I have seen exactly that symptom before as an ignition component gets weak.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Thanks for posting that, Karl. Saved me the trouble of checking to see if the tach moved a noticeable amount when cranking, especially since mine usually fires right up (knock wood!)

OP may have a problem with the immobilizer. "Always starts on the second try" makes that seem less likely, but it's still a possibility.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Really??
I believe that back in my 1960 (and a few years before then!) the starter was a separate switch from the ignition key. So you just pulled the starter until it started... Almost always the first try... :grin2:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: I'm sitting on this for a while. Over the past 4 days, this has only happened once (4 days ago) out of a total of 17 starts. Will update after a while.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I believe that back in my 1960 (and a few years before then!) the starter was a separate switch from the ignition key. So you just pulled the starter until it started... Almost always the first try... :grin2:
I had a very old 1954 Dodge Power Wagon (4x4 truck) that had a plunger on the floor that you pretty much had to stand on to get the starter to engage. There was a toggle switch on the dash that connected the battery. The truck never had a key.

It had a front mounted winch that was powered by a PTO and a separate shifter lever on the floor to engage the PTO, a 24 volt electrical system with two batteries under the passenger seat and a split, flip-up front window. The truck was a beast to drive but oh so much fun offroad.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another update: For the past 7 days, and 28 starts, I've had no problem starting. A thank you to the forum member who told me to try saying 20 "Hail Marys". That seems to have worked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts