Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Ltd.
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 LL Bean Outback and was wondering on how to warm up my vehicle and lock the doors while it's running to keep someone from borrowing it while it's running? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
'99 OB Legacy Limited
22 Posts
I'm pretty sure "auto-start" accessories don't automatically unlock the vehicle. Might look into this.

Also, if you don't know...an idling engine doesn't really warm up in the way you might think. it's a pretty good way to use an incredible amount of gas, become frustrated, and wear out your engine. The theory is that an idling engine is stagnant and therefore, the parts aren't moving. Thus, the engine isn't really getting warmer.

You'd probably be better off with a block heater (I know you can't use it away from a plug) and driving conservatively for 5 minutes or so after starting up. Auto starts and excessive idling don't do anyone or anything any real good.

all the best

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
it's -20c here I give it 10 minutes then drive. not totally warm but good enough. it's more for driver comfort thought, caris probably good after a couple minutes at that temp. -10 and warmer need very little warmup.

·
Registered
'99 OB Legacy Limited
22 Posts
it's -20c here I give it 10 minutes then drive. not totally warm but good enough. it's more for driver comfort thought, caris probably good after a couple minutes at that temp. -10 and warmer need very little warmup.
colder here. I'm telling you, it makes no difference in terms of functionality of the automobile. Driver comfort, yes, it may be enhanced somewhat. However, a block heater will transcend these cold weather woes in totality. and in only about 30 minutes of being plugged in prior to driving or so, your interior will be the same temp as if you had run the engine for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
I use the Subaru remote start all the time. It is not very cold here, but my community enters right onto a highway, even worse -- it enters right after the crest of a hill. So every morning, I have to drive a few thousand feet, then merge like a madman into 65 MPH traffic. I will not do this when the .engine cold" light is on, because it is not good for the engine. Just a few minutes of idling warms it up in 30F weather... A little longer the colder it gets. With the type of oil I use, I am not worried about excessive engine wear.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I have a 2002 LL Bean Outback and was wondering on how to warm up my vehicle and lock the doors while it's running to keep someone from borrowing it while it's running? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Auto theft from from cars warming up in the driveway is a big problem here in Ca. Kids walk around looking for exhaust vapor and run with it.
Locking the doors does no good, a window smash takes just a second.
Just get in and drive gently for the first few miles, warms up quicker driving it. Never leave a running unattended car. May be illegal in some states.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,627 Posts
supposedly, some insurance companies will use 'driver involvement' as an excuse not to pay/reduce claim amount if the keys are in an unattended car.

dunno how common that is though.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Sedan VDC
28 Posts
Thumbs up on a block heater - about $50 at NAPA and installed it myself in the freeze plug in about 10 minutes without draining the coolant (although I spilled coolant all over myself). I put it on a timer so I can plug it in at night and it runs for an hour or so before I take off in the morning. If it gets really cold I add another hour or two to the timer. I have seen some studies that show significant reductions in emissions along with slightly improved MPG using a block heater.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thumbs up on a block heater - about $50 at NAPA and installed it myself in the freeze plug in about 10 minutes without draining the coolant (although I spilled coolant all over myself). I put it on a timer so I can plug it in at night and it runs for an hour or so before I take off in the morning. If it gets really cold I add another hour or two to the timer. I have seen some studies that show significant reductions in emissions along with slightly improved MPG using a block heater.
Forgot that part, it's just normal here, all cars on the dealer lots have factory block heaters so my OB has the factory one. Yes block heaters are great for cold weather climates and saving gas/warmup time. I also use a timer to turn on power an hour before I go to work. I only use it when it is colder than -15c.

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
143 Posts
Instead of giving you a reason why you should not do it, or another alternative, here is what I do from time to time.

I have 2 keys (and a few extras) for my car. One is the standard key with the black cover, and one is a copy cut with just the metal. I keep the copy in my wallet at all times. If its cold and I wish to idle the car before I leave the house, I take my normal keys, use the FOB to unlock only the driver door. Then start the car with the normal key, and manually lock the door. At this point all doors are locked, and then when I'm ready to leave I take the copy key out of my wallet, open the door, and drive away.

The reason I do it that way, is because once the car is running, the FOB does not work. It will not unlock or lock the doors. So its important to have a KEY to get in once you lock it and its running. I learned the hard way, but I had that extra key in my wallet.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Car really needs no more than a minute or so in the extreme cold temps to get fluids warm and flowing. Generally takes longer to clear windows than it takes to have the running gear ready. People in CA where I live that run cars when they are not actually going some place are simply wasting fuel and look like idiots.

I actually told a parent to stop leaving her truck running out side the daycare while she's dropping off her kid. She started to claim it was to keep it warm. I smiled and said thats nice but unattended running car around kids being walked into the daycare is asking for murphys law to send the truck motoring through taking out parents and kids. I figured she wouldnt grasp the concept of wasting gas lol

·
Registered
383 Posts
Car really needs no more than a minute or so in the extreme cold temps to get fluids warm and flowing. Generally takes longer to clear windows than it takes to have the running gear ready. People in CA where I live that run cars when they are not actually going some place are simply wasting fuel and look like idiots.

I actually told a parent to stop leaving her truck running out side the daycare while she's dropping off her kid. She started to claim it was to keep it warm. I smiled and said thats nice but unattended running car around kids being walked into the daycare is asking for murphys law to send the truck motoring through taking out parents and kids. I figured she wouldnt grasp the concept of wasting gas lol
You don't have an idling law in CA! that's the one place i thought would have it for sure. We have one here but if it's below 0c it does not apply.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I had an aftermarket remote starter installed in November, and when you use it to start the car the doors remain locked until you the remote starter to stop the car and use the key fob to unlock the car and start it with the key. Also if some theif were to happen to the break the door window while it was running, and open the door the car automatically shuts off. BTW this is for a basic 2 button Pro-start remote starter.

·
Registered
383 Posts
forgot to mention, in Edmonton, we have a no idling law in front of schools regardless of temp.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,658 Posts
...gotta love our Canadian winters...eh? :29:

I only warm up the car if there is frost on the windshield. That is because I have had ice scrapers that have actually scratched my windshield...and leaves a bloody, permanent mess on the glass. Other than that, after a couple of minutes of idle it's warm enough. Oil is getting to where it needs to be to luble everything.

Must say though...leather seats and cold weather freezes the a$$ off...lol. It takes a while for those heated seats to really kick in.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
You don't have an idling law in CA! that's the one place i thought would have it for sure. We have one here but if it's below 0c it does not apply.
Nothing about no idling in Ca...yet. I am sure the fast food and Starbucks drive through lobbyists in Sacramento would quench any idea of that happening.
Based on some of the occupants I see in drive throughs, some would have trouble just getting out of the car. Maybe the car could be described as a motorized wheel chair to some.
There is a law in ca that prohibits idling when children are left unattended in a car. Why this even has to be a law is an example of laws passed to prevent stupidity.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
I know of a guy that got a ticket for using the factory remote start on his F150. In most places, using a remote start is ok because the vehicle shuts off if an attempt is made to move the car without the key in the ignition and the ignition turned on. Most areas do have laws about unattended idling with the key in the ignition. In those cases, locking the doors will not keep you from getting a ticket. The most my car idles, is long enough to clean the windows (all of them). Then it's off to the races.

edit: That is me cleaning the windows, not the defroster/heater (that would just be plain stupid).

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,658 Posts
Nothing about no idling in Ca....
er...I may be mistaken but do you really need to warm up your car in sunny California? Right now I am looking at my Ipad app that gives world climate (SolarChronWx) and all I see is temps from 50 degrees and warmer. To me...that is warm already.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
er...I may be mistaken but do you really need to warm up your car in sunny California? Right now I am looking at my Ipad app that gives world climate (SolarChronWx) and all I see is temps from 50 degrees and warmer. To me...that is warm already.
You are correct, no warm ups for me in the eastern SF Bay Area.
But you have to remember Ca is the land of namby-pambies where 40F and dew on the windows is a major problem.
Due to a variety of social and cultural issues, Ca residents feel like they are entitled to a warm car.
One additional reminder why I made a decision to move to Reno.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
54 Posts
"Warming" a car by idling does nothing to warm the transmission and axles. I was told by an engineer run the engine to get oil pressure up and then drive it easy for a few miles is the best way to "warm" up a car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts