Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

2017 3.6 outback.

I'm an idiot. I was drinking a full 12 oz cup of coffee while driving and i literally just dropped the entire full cup smack on the center console. I drove home and got stuff to clean up the mess.

A good portion of it was caught in the cup holder, but basically it went everywhere. I got some paper towels and and soaked up the coffee then patted everything down with damp (water) paper towels until the paper towels were no longer brownish.

I probably spent 30 minutes cleaning the car, with the lights and power on (not the engine). When i went to restart the car makes an attempt, the headlights flash 3 times, and it just doesn't turn on.

I don't see how it could be the battery considering it was only on for 30 minutes or so, and I take longer than that to sometimes clean the car with the music on.

Any ideas as to whats going on?

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
591 Posts
Remove the battery and place you car in a Tupperware container or ziplock bag full of rice.
But seriously, yes you probably did drain the battery. None of our Subaru’s with factory batteries can survive a nite at the drive in movies without requiring a jump. And our ‘16 forester required a jump after a 15-20min run of a tire compressor when we assisted with a flat. I thought the last few psi took forever and didn’t notice the interior lights fading out at the time.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,118 Posts
What does Tesla know that Subaru doesn't. Battery can't last 30min?

What happened to the days of skinny dipping and then XXX for (3 hours total) blasting Bob Segar with the windows down while your '78 Z28 was parked on the bank.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
130 Posts
Funny, 12oz of coffee usually starts me in the morning.

I bet the battery is drained. Give it a jump start or put it on a charger.

The other (but unlikely) scenario would involve damage to electronics under the console. This is very unlikely as most interior car electronics are built to withstand some water intrusion for situations just like this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off, thanks for the quick replies.

Second off, I didn't think everyone would be this funny.

I ended up getting a jump from someone and it started up. I'm kind of alarmed at how quickly the battery drained, and i'm wondering why it never drained this quickly before. Usually when i'm cleaning my car or something the doors are only open for a little bit, but the music could be on for like 30 minutes or so.

My guess is that since it was dark outside and the doors were open the entire time, and i used the dome lights that the combination drained the battery. Seemed kind of quick to me, but I'm just happy it wasn't something serious.

Do you guys think I did any damage (other than the carpet?) Honestly it looked like the cup holder caught half of it, and the other stuff didn't look that bad. I'm gonna maybe get the carpet shampood tomorrow.

Anyways, thanks again for the replies guys!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,194 Posts
Just think of this as a quick lesson on how weak the OEM battery really is. Better to happen at home than stranded somewhere waiting for help.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,105 Posts
I didn't think everyone would be this funny.
Neither did I.:wink2:

Do you guys think I did any damage (other than the carpet?) Honestly it looked like the cup holder caught half of it, and the other stuff didn't look that bad.
No. Wires are insulated and vulnerable electronics aren't situated in this area. Just give your battery a full charge, clean it up, and you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
443 Posts
This is why you shouldn’t drink and drive ... you might hit a bump and spill your drink...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
What does Tesla know that Subaru doesn't. Battery can't last 30min?

What happened to the days of skinny dipping and then XXX for (3 hours total) blasting Bob Segar with the windows down while your '78 Z28 was parked on the bank.
Tesla has a $10,000 battery compared to Subaru's $10.00 one.

LOL, most here probably wouldn't know a '78 Z28 if they tripped over it.
I've owned '76, '89 and an '02. One day I'll get a '69.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,148 Posts
If the ignition was in ACC and it killed your battery in 30 minutes, then you likely have a bad battery. I've run my original battery for 2 hours in ACC, stereo on, with no issues. However, if it was in the ON position (which continues to power the HVAC blower and a bunch of other stuff), then the load on the battery is much higher, and it may be possible to tap out even a fairly healthy battery depending on SoC.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium-20mm rear sway bar, recessed Sprinter roof rails
142 Posts
Was it decaf? probably the problem.
as I recall my big block 68 Z28, didn't have cup holders. I used to keep a cold one between my knees..
and the battery in my outback is a POS. carry jumpers or a fancy dan lipo unit.
Lastly a question... Do you drive with your arm out the window?

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Was it decaf? probably the problem.
as I recall my big block 68 Z28, didn't have cup holders. I used to keep a cold one between my knees..
and the battery in my outback is a POS. carry jumpers or a fancy dan lipo unit.
Lastly a question... Do you drive with your arm out the window?
That would be an extremely rare vehicle....there were only 7,199 '68 z's produced and all came with the 302 small block........and no cup holders >:)

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium-20mm rear sway bar, recessed Sprinter roof rails
142 Posts
typo,
mine was a 69,Canary Yellow,black rally stripes,chain from head to frame to keep motor mounts from exploding,
Wife had the 68 RS,copper with black rally stripe. lol
Sorry for the confusion and thread hi jack...
I don't drink n drive anymore, not even coffee.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Guys,

Car is starting up fine after a recharge, and there are no visible stains or anything. It doesn't even smell like coffee. This is another reason why paying the extra for leather makes a tremendous difference.

However, I noticed that now I cant control the passenger side window from the drivers seat. However, from the passenger side it works. I toggled the window lock, ensured it was on and tried again - no go.

If something didn't get messed up from the spill maybe I knocked something loose under the drivers seat when I was cleaning up? There are some wires under there. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,290 Posts
If the ignition was in ACC and it killed your battery in 30 minutes, then you likely have a bad battery. I've run my original battery for 2 hours in ACC, stereo on, with no issues. However, if it was in the ON position (which continues to power the HVAC blower and a bunch of other stuff), then the load on the battery is much higher, and it may be possible to tap out even a fairly healthy battery depending on SoC.
You have the 3.6, it has a larger battery.
I have had the same battery depletion issues on my 2.5 if I leave the cargo light on, tailgate up/light off or play the radio too long while in accessory mode. I had the charging system ECM update which helps keep the battery charged better if you mostly take short trips. Currently, I carry a Lithium-ion jump starter just in case...

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,108 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts