·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Blargh. That is the worst looking hood...

It would be okay if it didn't have the weird divot.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Weight savings for something like a hood is really not that much over the stock hoods used today. Cost of material and labor to make the carbon hood is dramatically more.

Also carbon doesn't behave like metal when subjected to say a fender bender. Carbon doesn't deform ie bend like a metal hood. It explodes into wicked carbon splinters.

Carbon which is clear coated with automotive clear coat paints which is exactly what we use on the sailboat carbon rigs which are WAY WAY WAY more costly than a little aftermarket hood for a car - the clear coats generally only last about 3-4 years before they need to be redone. However most of us carbon mast owners have the masts painted with a marine epoxy paint which can easily last 15-20+ years with little to no extra care.

Also the resin used in the carbon if its cheap resin will not tolerate UV exposure for extended periods of time if the top most coating doesn't offer some level of UV protection.

Far far FAR more to carbon parts than most Automotive tuner types know about.

However when you have a $10,000 50 foot stick shipped from Austria that cost $1200 to step and rig on a $100,000 boat you tend to learn about such things real fast.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 Winter Package
47 Posts
My last car (Eagle talon) Lost 26 lbs with a Cf hood... Half a bag of dog food. Pretty substantial...
Every company is not equal though, some were nearly stock weights, and most with all of the scoops/divots were the heavier ones, as they tended to use fiberglass with Carbon fiber over them. If only one is made for this car, that could be the case that it does not afford much weight advantage (I have not done my homework on this car, but was OBSESSED with weight with my autocrosser).
3-4 years is right on with the clearcoat comment, mine lasted four, then faded real quick (about four months it went from starting to fade, to gone)

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Looks like a pretty expensive piece of NOPE for me.

·
Registered
13 E350
984 Posts
if you are looking for pure estethics then just wrap your hood if you want weight loss get and aluminum hood from japan. If you strictly want a CF hood look on yahoo auctions japan they come up once in a while gialla, liberal and probably other companies used to make em.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you are looking for pure estethics then just wrap your hood if you want weight loss get and aluminum hood from japan. If you strictly want a CF hood look on yahoo auctions japan they come up once in a while gialla, liberal and probably other companies used to make em.
Gross. Please nobody wrap their hood in fake carbon fiber vinyl. Carbon fiber is suppose to be for function (weight/strength). However it does look pretty cool. But faking it is just plain cheesy.

Aluminum hood from Japan you say???

·
Registered
'01 Outback
220 Posts
If I had a dog as ugly as that hood...

+1 for aluminum. My sti hood is aluminum and its very very light. 10# +-

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
A larger scoop and engine venting...functionally good. Form...however can be executed better, with great beauty. This example,nNot quite there yet. Plus, every, single CF hood I have seen on any ricer. It doesn't mtter make/model, they never fit quite right, everywhere. It works here, and here...but HERE? Looks weird. It leaves you with a "child like" impression walking way... Like a "Hot Wheels" creation. Or worse yet, "Corvette Summer". Talk about dark days of bad taste(back then, fiberglass).

Now CF Wheels on the Jag XF....Yeah, gimmie those and fat $$$ stack for replacements...I could get down with that.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Why do you want a carbon fiber hood?

If it is for weight savings, you can get most of the way there with a aluminum hood for a lot less money and more durability.
If it is for looks, your can get vinyl overlays that look like carbon fiber, again at much lower cost and you can change it later if you want a new look.
Strength? The hood is not a structural member of the car so it really doesn't matter what you have.
Airflow? As stated you can get aftermarket scoops that work with the existing hood.

Really, the only things I can see a carbon fiber hood being goof for is bragging rights and wallet thinning.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 Winter Package
47 Posts
^ This logic is two parts half ass
Half the weight loss, and none of the real carbon beauty, and double the work!
I have seen many civics go down this road, it never ends well.
If you are going to do it, do it right-
I don't doubt the fitiment issues for CF hoods on Outbacks when there are only a few companies who make them, they don't seem like the type of cars the top companies would be making them for, as they are not real high tech, light, or fast.
Plus it would seriously clash with the woodgrain!
But to each his own- I would like to see the pics!

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
That hood... ugh. A radiator flow vent right in front of your hood scoop. Yeah, lets dump the heat out right in front of where you need to take cool air in. Derp.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My last car (Eagle talon) Lost 26 lbs with a Cf hood... Half a bag of dog food. Pretty substantial...
Every company is not equal though, some were nearly stock weights, and most with all of the scoops/divots were the heavier ones, as they tended to use fiberglass with Carbon fiber over them. If only one is made for this car, that could be the case that it does not afford much weight advantage (I have not done my homework on this car, but was OBSESSED with weight with my autocrosser).
3-4 years is right on with the clearcoat comment, mine lasted four, then faded real quick (about four months it went from starting to fade, to gone)
BTW comparing a very old vehicle hood to modern hoods using formed Aluminum is like comparing an Eagle Talon to todays WRX. So when I say Carbon or composite built parts share similar weight to modern metal that is what I mean.
BTW a well built Aluminum hulled boat will be nearly identical in weight to a well built Composite built boat today. The advantages to using Composite over Aluminum is in the strength and how composite materials can be structured to produce a specific flex one direction and a specific stiffness in another direction. Example would be bicycle forks and frames early carbon bikes were rock hard stiff and long time cyclists who rode lots of miles preferred the softer riding steel frame bikes. Today with what we know about composite ie carbon manufacturing the Carbon frames are built to be stiff one direction and compliant in another to create a smooth ride that also does not flex in the wrong manner causing loss of power from the rider.

A vehicle hood built out of formed Aluminum is cheaper and just as light as Carbon however where they differ is that the carbon hood will resist denting and flexing more so than the Aluminum hood.

Aluminum formed body parts with complex curves is fairly new to cars in the mass production world. Several manufacturing discoveries in recent times has enabled auto makers to start making aluminum body parts that are as good as the steel alternatives - this only just started happening in the last 10yrs.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've since found an OEM style hood. But I've also since lost some interest. The aluminum hood sounds interesting, but doesn't sound like it'd be worth it after the shipping and painting.

Using carbon fiber vinyl wrap on a hood is just disgusting. :-/

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
It's not that hard to work out a table listing a bunch of power mods and weight reductions and sort them by HP per dollar. I think you'd find a hood like this fairly low on the list.

I bet the aluminum would score better.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not that hard to work out a table listing a bunch of power mods and weight reductions and sort them by HP per dollar. I think you'd find a hood like this fairly low on the list.

No way! Ordering an aluminum hood from Japan and having it shipped over here and getting it painted would be an absolutely horrible weight reduction per dollar amount.

I could easily see that costing $800. I'm not sure what those hoods go for or what the shipping is. There's not any on eBay right now.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
That hood... ugh. A radiator flow vent right in front of your hood scoop. Yeah, lets dump the heat out right in front of where you need to take cool air in. Derp.
Good call, I didn't think of where that front vent was actually placed, not at all like the Imp vents of old.

No way! Ordering an aluminum hood from Japan and having it shipped over here and getting it painted would be an absolutely horrible weight reduction per dollar amount.

I could easily see that costing $800. I'm not sure what those hoods go for or what the shipping is. There's not any on eBay right now. Yesterday 10:28 PM
So we have all just determined, (Pretty much Agreed) there is ZERO reason for a/this carbon fiber hood.

• Function(I was part wrong):28:
  • Form/Pretty:28:
  • Fit:28:
  • Cost:28::28::28:
  • Could be done with a "Wrap":28:

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Fair enough... I forgot that there weren't any aluminum hoods in the USA 2nd gen outbacks. With the 3rd gen, you just have to find the right year donor car and you're good.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good call, I didn't think of where that front vent was actually placed, not at all like the Imp vents of old.

So we have all just determined, (Pretty much Agreed) there is ZERO reason for a/this carbon fiber hood.

• Function(I was part wrong):28:
  • Form/Pretty:28:
  • Fit:28:
  • Cost:28::28::28:
  • Could be done with a "Wrap":28:
You're missing the point of a carbon fiber hood it seems. It's for weight reduction for some, and the look for others. Or perhaps both. My intention was to reduce weight.

Wrapping something in carbon fiber is absolutely disgusting. I would never do that. It's just the ricey poser thing to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts