Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Outback 2.5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have a CARFAX account,to look up a Outback i bought ?i'm wondering if the timing belt change is on there,and i'm getting ready to fly down to Florida,and pick the car up,,,,it has 125,000,,and it would sure help to know if it has been changed ,before i drive it 800 miles home...i got a Autocheck,,but it has no service records,,,,,my mistake any help appreciated

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,371 Posts
That would not necessarily be on a carfax. Isn't on mine and I had it done at a Subaru dealership.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,495 Posts
Agreed, it's only 50/50 that a belt replacement would show up on a Carfax report.

And even if it did, that won't tell you if they just slapped in a new belt or if they also replaced the idler bearings. Half the time the belt is fine, but then one of the idler pulley bearings seizes up and rips the belt in the blink of an eye.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
1998 Outback 2.5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm picking the car up in Florida the 19th,and i know it would be stupid to assume it.s been done,,,,i.m hoping with the mileage,that it has...will i be able to take either the left or right cam gear covers off without taking fans out,,and if so which side would be easier ??it's just a few 10mm correct?? i would just like to know before i drive 900 miles home,,it would make me feel better thanks for the help .....1st subie................i wanted 1 for a long time

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did you get pics under the hood of the engine area? If the Tbelt WAS done by a shop, there 'should' be a sticker somewhere - I've even seen them on the underside of the hood - visible when you open it and look up, on the radiator support, on the Tbelt cover etc.

Either side cam cover - 10mm - maybe remove the overflow bottle on the driver's side?

The attached is $10 for a CF report....I've used them w/out issue multiple times.

...and you've heard of the Head Gasket issues w/these, correct? When you start it up, give it 10 minutes to get warm - Temp gauge needle will be just below halfway- and ensure there are NO BUBBLES in that overflow bottle....if there are don't even drive it. And you'll want to budget $1500-2000 for the HG (@ a shop), if they've not been done, as it's unlikely they'll last must longer.

Make sure you CHECK THE OIL every time you stop for fuel (wait 5 minutes after turning it off) to verify it's not burning/leaking oil - make sure it's FULL b4 hitting the road.

When you 1st get it, start it and look @ the exhaust for blue smoke..shouldn't be any.

If you bought this off Ebait, ensure you keep records of any issues, as I've had 2 cars that I had to use Ebay's Guarantee to get a refund for repairs immediately after I got it.

GL,
TD

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
Could someone run a CarFax for me for VIN JF1SG63624H764310
those are now $40 for one,

3 for $60

and 6 for $100

no more unlimited for X number of months,...so I doubt you will find anyone willing to look up something on carfax .

here is something free that is not good enough. (does not show all the wrecks of things that I have known on carfax was wrecked,...and personally seen the dents on).

but it is free, and does show that forester was registered in NY and now NC.

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/paging-vin-report-data/new-report.php?vin=JF1SG63624H764310

on a similar note:

autocheck is $25 each, it does not show dealer maint. records though like carfax sometimes does.
Single Report | AutoCheck vehicle history reports | AutoCheck.com

Reactions: iqayyum2
1 - 8 of 8 Posts