Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Gen 2 Ej251 4EAT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G’day everyone!
Bit of a minor issue here, I seem to have a problem with my cargo area dome light in my 99’ Gen 2 Outback 2.5.

It’ll come on when I put the switch to on but when it’s set in the middle position it doesn’t come on when I open the tailgate. Which is rather annoying having to keep turning it on and off every time I need to find something in the dark (Which is regularly because I keep tools and stuff in the back.)

I can’t find any switch or button that activates the light in the jam and I’ve checked the actuator in the tailgate and everything seemed okay. Also, the little indicator light in the dash doesn’t show the tailgate as open when it’s open, not sure if it’s supposed to or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,139 Posts
For the 2008 models my service manual says the switch is a part of the tailgate latch assembly on the gate itself - connector D46 on the attached diagram. The switch turns on the light by grounding through the switch; this is also sensed and sent to the BIU to illuminate the dash icon for "tailgate open".

Also, switch is three way - left position is "on", middle position is "off", right position is "door".

I'm not sure if any of this is applicable to your 1999 model, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
608 Posts
First - what country are you in? The pic is a Gen 2 and you stated 1999 model, so that puts you in Europe or Japan.

Here's a diagram

Doesn't "g'day" mean Australia???

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
Doesn't "g'day" mean Australia???
You should spend some time in Austin. There are people from all over the world here, especially now with SXSW going on, and I hear all kinds of slang and verbalization. I don't assume country of origin by speech or lingo any longer.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
608 Posts
You should spend some time in Austin. There are people from all over the world here, especially now with SXSW going on, and I hear all kinds of slang and verbalization. I don't assume country of origin by speech or lingo any longer.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I've done it, too -

"Right to 165 and 135.3, thank you. G'day."

Wow, that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,500 Posts
First - what country are you in? The pic is a Gen 2 and you stated 1999 model, so that puts you in Europe or Japan.
Maybe it's new, but: "Location: Brisbane, Australia" suggests she's from Brisbane, Australia, which is consistent with a Japanese-market car.

Second, the OP and first reply were from almost a year ago.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
Maybe it's new, but: "Location: Brisbane, Australia" suggests she's from Brisbane, Australia, which is consistent with a Japanese-market car.

Second, the OP and first reply were from almost a year ago.
I found this the other day due to another post on my VDC build thread. Posted the diagram in case someone else was looking. Until recently, no location on OP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts