Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted to search for this topic and did not get any results. The flooring in the cargo compartment of my 03 outback has completely failed. I mean everything. The stock floor panels are particle board wrapped in carpet, and placed on plastic risers. The plastic risers are varying in height depending on their location since the floor is suspended and level over the steel bottom which is contoured. Basically I am wondering if anyone has found an adequate replacement or have reproduced a floor panel. I priced everything from the dealer and to be quite honest, I could rig one up with aircraft grade aluminum and golden welds for cheaper. Seems silly to spend 400 bucks replacing an apparently inadequate floor structure. Thanks for the input...

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
Water damage get yours?

I haven't run into a need for a new rear floor panel. Mine's an 01 with 181k now and no issues with it. Of course, its had the rubber mat on it since day 1. That may make a difference, but I've also not seen any in the other Subarus I perform repairs on.

The aluminum sounds like a great idea. Its light, strong and easy to work with. You have the templates for the new parts, unless yours is totally goners.

Maybe you could put some together. Weigh the differences, literally, cost factors, etc.. Start your own manufacturing. Make a "limited run". If it truly does come out lighter and manageable, you may have something to market.

You could also do custom floor design to accommodate say, storage. Maybe gain a little extra use from the lost space between the OE floor and the body pan for something of this sort for fishing/camping/surfing/skiing/off roading.

Or someone like 2shoes, trying to accommodate everything he may need for living from the car on his road trip.

I'm chock full of ideas. I just don't have the time for all of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, yes.... it is from water damage. For some stupid reason I decided to stash my snow covered snowboards inside when I have the luxury of dropping the back seat (despite the fact I have a roof rack, hindsight/Tuesday morning quarterback struck again). Over the course of a couple of years the floor panels finally failed. I have been contemplating the aluminum floor for about a year. I have priced different grades of flooring and framing as well as a few ideas to keep it all level. I'll start collecting resources and post you a couple of pics when it starts coming together. What do you think of cold welding to the existing floor? I'm a little concerned doing a hot weld with the fuel cell being right underneath, and want to avoid rivets or bolts that may blindly enter a wiring harness or fuel line.

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
I think you may want to make it removable. Its that way now for a reason. Access to the spare, storage compartment, although foam, strut bracket access, removal of the side paneling in the event you have to get to the antenna or booster, wiring harness, sun roof drains, seat belt recoils.

You could make the legs part of the top and have 3M between the legs and body pan. Attach the legs to the body pan and attach the top to the legs with screws or have brackets attached to the bottom of the "floor" to rest on top of the legs, keeping the top of the floor smooth. You could even use the existing plastic legs. They are sturdy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All very good points, and you know, I hadn't considered using the existing plastic posts with the aluminum decking. It would cut cost, weight and time. otherwise I would have to cut and fit every support that I decided to use. All great points that I hadn't considered. I'm not entirely sure that I have all the existing supports but even having to replace a few would be cheaper that replacing all with aluminum round stock that was trimmed and fitted into place. What are your thoughts on thread bite (diamond plate) versus solid with a rubberized coating?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,107 Posts
how about getting that piece from a junker.

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
how about getting that piece from a junker.
It's a creative process. Don't make it easy.

Rubber coating or even textured paint. Rubber would add weight. Paint could scuff. You could glue down the same type cover as is on he OE floor.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
What are your thoughts on thread bite (diamond plate) versus solid with a rubberized coating?
The very LAST choice would be diamond plate. That stuff is great for traction when you have to walk into your trailer, but the diamonds are sharp and they will eat up anything you place on them, like suitcases or grocery bags.

For your cargo area you need a durable softer material. The roll-on truck bedliner stuff would be fine. A better looking job would result if you took the parts to a truck accessory shop and had them spray a pro coat of Rhino Liner or similar product. Or just cover the panels with marine grade carpet.

The DuraCoat aerosol bed liner is super easy to apply ... but do NOT fall for their hype - the can contains 90% propellant and a witches brew of nasty solvents like xylene and MEK that evaporate and make you nauseous. It dries thin and brittle - I painted my truck rock sliders with it and spray from the road just eats the material away. I am going to have to have the things sand blasted and properly coated.... and that pisses me off.

Use a roll on method or a professionally applied coating only!

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts