Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium, sold 2003 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Limited
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's has been an ongoing issue in my OB and I have been ignoring it for a while now. The only way I know how to address it is to have my wife drive the car with me sitting in the cargo area listening to rattles up close. She won't do it :) I think it is coming from the hatch area, possibly from the cargo ceiling area where the auxiliary seatbelt resides. Has anyone delt with it? If so, what's a good fix?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
I've had a rattle since i bought my 06 wrx new, complained once under warranty, but, it never got fixed. wish i knew if there was a common issue with the 06-07 Impreza wagons so I'd know what to look for.

hey, maybe i could get some tubing, tape it in various quadrants and listen for where it's loudest!

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
You could check to make sure the jack is secured. It may even be the cargo cover.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
I had a big rattle in the cargo area that turned out to be the part of the center seat belt that retracts into the headliner. Stuffed a sock around it to confirm.

Reactions: jrprich

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium, sold 2003 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Limited
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a big rattle in the cargo area that turned out to be the part of the center seat belt that retracts into the headliner. Stuffed a sock around it to confirm.
You may have a point. That's where I think some of the rattle is coming from. I will try putting something in there...

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
143 Posts
It's has been an ongoing issue in my OB and I have been ignoring it for a while now. The only way I know how to address it is to have my wife drive the car with me sitting in the cargo area listening to rattles up close. She won't do it :) I think it is coming from the hatch area, possibly from the cargo ceiling area where the auxiliary seatbelt resides. Has anyone delt with it? If so, what's a good fix?
I also have a similar issue with my 2001. I can hear a few different sounds, but one that I was able to figure out was my rear passenger seat. If I fold the seats down, the knocking/rattle goes away. Put them in the up position and it comes back.

The other seems to come from the rear hatch and I'm not sure what it is. That one is less commonly heard then the seat noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just sat in the back and found the plastic panels over the tail lights (bulb access) are the issue. Once removed, no more rattles. Now I need to figure out a long term fix

1 - 7 of 7 Posts