Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Premium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cargo area light on my '14 OB is stupidly dim when on the 'door' position. It's nice and bright in the 'on' position. Is this normal or is something broken? Is there anything I can do about it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I found the problem. I was taking a look at it after work in the dark, and opening and closing the hatch, and watching the light start to come to full bright, and then go back to dim. It seems to be a problem with the latch on the tailgate. I worked the latch back and forth some in my garage and managed to get the light working normally. Now I just hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
919 Posts
Lube those tailgate latches with a dab of white lithium grease. Wipe off any old lubricant first, though.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,807 Posts
The OP's issue is not with the mechanical latch, but with the electric switch (typically closes a contact to ground). Dirty electrical contact wiper inside of it. Exercising it can help.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,682 Posts
You’re right...the cargo area light is dim...as are all the interior lights...the reason why I replaced all the interior lights with nice bright LED’s...:29:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The OP's issue is not with the mechanical latch, but with the electric switch (typically closes a contact to ground). Dirty electrical contact wiper inside of it. Exercising it can help.
Exactly. I finally got it working by spraying it with MAF cleaner (hexane).. Been fine for a few days now. Fingers crossed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts