Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out how to make my cargo area in my '10 Outback a little more dog/weather-proof. I plan on installing the new seat back protectors and have the OEM rubber tray, but of course things still get stuck in the carpet on the wheel wells as well as up under the mat. I'm toying with the idea of bedliner for this. Any ideas? I've thought about doing it straight over the carpet since the carpet in the cargo area is not really "fluffy" but more coarse and short; or if better removing the carpet in this area. Anyway, wanted to get anyone's thoughts or if they have done something similar or had a better idea for the same purpose. Basically I hate having to vacuum out my yellow lab's hair all the dang time. Shedding is her job. Just being able to sweep it would be great.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I can't comment on reworking the rear - other than to comment that painting with bedliner will probably affect the resale value. The potential buyer will wonder what the HECK you were carrying back there...

Have you considered carrying your dog in the center of the car? These work great when combined with the door protectors (which have plastic tabs that mount into the window slots):

Duragear Quilted Hammock Seat Covers - Cargo Area | Sale Prices Everyday | Dog Cargo Area | 20% Off Sale!

For a dog that leaves large amounts of hair everywhere, throw a beach towel across the hammock and then you can just pull it out and replace it with a fresh one when it starts to get too fuzzy. I have two of these hammocks and they are excellent. They have a smooth water resistant side and also a fleecy side for winter (but that side will trap hair!) The storage and water bottle pockets are a plus, but don't use the water bottle slot for your personal bottle because your dog will slobber on it....

Another option would be a custom cargo liner that covers your wheel wells, similar to this Heritage one - any auto upholstery shop can make you a nice one or you or your wife could do it on a home machine for US$30 in materials:

A final option is to get a dog that doesn't shed, like a labradoodle .... ;)

Welcome to the forums.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John,

I got to looking at the liner you had posted in the second picture and its one called the Heritage Cargo Liner. From research it appears to be oversized enough that it will fully cover wheel wells and all. In reviews peoples only gripe seemed to be that it moved around, but I think thats something a little velcro around the edges would fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts