Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a search it seems that the largest roof cargo box I can mount on my 2013 and still open the rear hatch without interference is a 16 cu/ft box by either Thule or Yakima. I really want a 18 cu/ft but if it going to interfere with the tailgate I'll go with the 16 cu/ft.

Has anyone mounted an 18 cu/ft box and avoided any kind of interference?<O:p</O:p

As a side note between Yakima and Thule both seem about equal in build quality and priced the same. Basicly at this point I would choose based only on price assuming I can get one or the other at a discount. Any opinions between the two?

Thanks<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2012 Silver Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
175 Posts
Been using a Skybox16 Pro for about 4 years and love it. It fitting on my Golf TDI makes me think the 18 would SURELY work on an Outback. You can slide them front to back some and my 16 doesn't come that close. Wonder if a dealer like REI would let you throw one up-top? I can carry my 16 around by myself, so it's not like they're that heavy.

·
Registered
I have a 99 Jetta now, but I'm waiting for the 2013 Outback!
220 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm also considering buying a rooftop box. But to save myself the trouble of having to figure all this out, I'm going to REI and let them help me.

And I like Yakima, if only because they're an American brand.

But no matter which brand you buy, don't forget the net! It's an accessory that keeps your stuff from sliding around inside the box when you're driving.

·
Registered
2012 Silver Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
175 Posts
Yeah, I think one of the only things besides the finish that makes a Skybox Pro "Pro" is that it comes with a net.

I use my Skybox16 on most trips to carry my 29" mountain bike, bike tools, 2 bags of bike gear, a stroller, extra water and a ton of other stuff. It's always worked out really well.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Doing a search it seems that the largest roof cargo box I can mount on my 2013 and still open the rear hatch without interference is a 16 cu/ft box by either Thule or Yakima. I really want a 18 cu/ft but if it going to interfere with the tailgate I'll go with the 16 cu/ft.

Has anyone mounted an 18 cu/ft box and avoided any kind of interference?<O:p</O:p

As a side note between Yakima and Thule both seem about equal in build quality and priced the same. Basicly at this point I would choose based only on price assuming I can get one or the other at a discount. Any opinions between the two?

Thanks<O:p</O:p
Good question! First thing though... Do you have any possible plans in the future at any point or car in the future expect to have interest in hauling other items on the roof? Bikes - kayak - canoe etc? This should be your first thought process my box is now on its second subaru and has been used on three other vehicles we freaking LOVE IT! However my biggest concern from the early point of finding one was how did it impact my ability to put bikes or other stuff on the car?

I have a Thule box which at the time I thought was crazy expensive at $150 back in around 2004 when I bought it. One of those really nice silver painted smooth finished sleek looking boxes which are now sold for like $600!!! Yikes! - Anyway I recall the width on ours is 30inches which allows me to fit two bikes on standard 54inch bars but its very tight. With 66inch bars I can easily haul my dads 16ft canoe. The box rides on the stock OB cross bars just fine but rubs just a little on the rear wind fairing on the hatch when fully open. It does not rub when I use the rail grabs and Yakima cross bars given it is raised up about another 2inches and clears the rear hatch when open.

The down side to the narrower box? Our Phil and Teds jumbo stroller is about an inch too wide to fit in the box. But I simply pack other stuff in the box and rig the stroller up on one side standing on end with a bungie from the floor D rings to the safety hook mounts for the kiddy seat straps in the roof. Freaking love the BOX though! Throw wet stuff in it after a day on the slopes keeps the car dry and clean - we pack the bulky soft stuff in it for camping and road trips. ETC - the Box RULES!

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
The Sears Xcargo Sport 20 (20 cubic feet) fits just fine. I don't have a pic of it on my Outback, but here it is on my Scion (looks much bigger on the Scion!):

Regular price is $200, but they are often on sale for about $179. I have had mine for about five years and it has worked very well.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT Premium
76 Posts
Stop by your local Yakima dealer. Someone other than REI. You can get better service and a more enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use a 10 yr old Thule box that can carry skis, quite large, long and narrow originally used on sedan but now resides on my 2012 OB and one thing I just found out was I can put it over to one side so my XM antenna in the center of the roof works and the sun roof is still open to the sky, If I use Thule crossbars the hatch is clear too, also has very low wind noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts