Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched several times for Cargo light improvements. Tried a couple 194 LEDs and not happy. Not bright enough. The latest I tried was a VLDS 194 5K white 360 26 LED. Just not much brighter than stock. Not good for $24 including shipping.

Has anyone found a much brighter solution without cutting holes or rewiring anything? I would prefer a warm white color. Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium-20mm rear sway bar, recessed Sprinter roof rails
142 Posts
"rear hatch aftermarket LED light" is a thread I started last year. Not sure if you can still obtain the light panel. no problems so far.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"rear hatch aftermarket LED light" is a thread I started last year. Not sure if you can still obtain the light panel. no problems so far.
Thank you. Might look into it. I want the cargo light brighter first.
Not sure I fully understand. Is it one light that replaces a panel cover in the tailgate cover?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,799 Posts
Thank you. Might look into it. I want the cargo light brighter first.
Not sure I fully understand. Is it one light that replaces a panel cover in the tailgate cover?
Diode Dynamics has a ton of stuff that will upgrade the cargo area. In fact, they had too bright for my taste since I wanted the lights in the car to be roughly the same front to back.

You can find quite a bit that will work on their site.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
642 Posts
Your referencing the wrong light bulb for the cargo light. I used the Osram/sylvania Zevo 921 LED. A pair is about $24 at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Different note, but same idea. I hate that the light is above the cargo cover. I am used to other vehicles having one in the side of the trunk beneath the cover, too. Makes getting quick items so much easier at night.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
I changed all the interior lights to the panel LED's and they're plenty bright.

They have the advantage of a lower power drain if you're leaving your liftgate open for an extended period of time. Not a fan of the color temp, but I can clearly see every nook and cranny in the cargo area. My next project would be to add some additional lights to the inside of the tailgate that can double as "porch lights" when the gate is open.

·
Registered
'17 2.5 Limited, White
202 Posts
Hi Russell. Hopefully you've found a solution, but if not, I'll weigh in. I'm really bad about navigating this forum, so I'll post an Instagram picture with my cargo light upgrades.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUxEf0DD4ID

I started out by getting one of those kits that came with ~10 LEDs for the interior upgrade. Seemed pretty good across the board sans cargo. It wasn't good enough while the rest of the interior were arguably too bright.

So I saw the Cargo Hatch Light thread by Dumpster Fire and worked with that. Wow I love that upgrade. It complimented the small, single, LED from the previous kit where it could provide light on the cargo area at a different angle than straight above.

And then I got an LED panel like what trfkcop suggested. Probably the same one but I can't tell. It did a great job of illuminating the whole cargo area, and the hatch light supplemented that beautifully.

Hopefully this helps. Hopefully I didn't buzzedly ramble. I'm sure you could get both LEDs in warm white.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,727 Posts
Just one led light mini bar gives more then enough light there. Payed 3 euros for pack of 2 them.

They super thin and hold with sticker so you can put it anywhere

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VELDs Told me the following. Sounds like the 40 LED panel some have bought from eBay. May be of higher quality.

" We are currently developing a product that you may be able to add onto your cargo light circuit. You would simply remove the stock bulb out of your current fixture: Plug in an adapter wire and then remote install the supplied LED fixture. Check back with us in March or April for future updates."

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by backouthere View Post
I hate that the light is above the cargo cover. I am used to other vehicles having one in the side of the trunk beneath the cover, too. Makes getting quick items so much easier at night.

^This

And therein lies the problem. When you raise the cargo door it blocks the light on the tray area.

I installed two LED's on the side panels to illuminate the cargo tray.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts