Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2012 Premium 2.5i
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subiepals:

I searched the forums, but still am not sure of the best solution.

I have a 2012 Outback. I just got back from vacation and used my old Yakima cargo box on top. This is the largest one they sold a number of years ago. Must be 15-16 cubic feet. It was for my old Dodge Gran Caravan. Worked fine for that. The problem on the Subaru is that it sticks out the back enough that I cannot open the rear lift gate fully. Furthermore, the thing makes quite a bit of air noise.

So, I am trying to figure out the best way to proceed here. I really want quite a bit of space, but something that fits. Would a roof top rack be better? Other thoughts here rather than pulling a trailer?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yakima Skybox 21?

OK, does the Yakima SkyBox 21 fit the 2012 Outback and still let the liftgate open? It turns out my previous post in this thread did not have the cargo amount right. I have a much older version, but it is a 21 cubic foot model...

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Can you just re-drill the mount holes and slide your old box forward a few inches? That works fine with my old Space Booster on my '09.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you just re-drill the mount holes and slide your old box forward a few inches? That works fine with my old Space Booster on my '09.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
Maybe. The problem is the shape of the underside of the box. It is made to straddle the bars, and is recessed a bit. I was in a hurry when mounting it for vacation, and just got back, so I haven't investigated that idea fully. I probably need a good 6 inches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts