Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking a for a car for my college age daughter. I have time to shop, I'd like to buy before mid May. I scanned CarMax, and wondering if anyone here has used them?

My opinion, the newer cars, like 2 to 3 year old Subies, are not a good value. I looked at a 5 door Impreza, 2015, with 29K miles, nice clean car. Price is $17K. Then looked at TrueCar, and the price is $19.4. I also have access to the employee purchase. So for the extra 2,500 I get a new car.

Then I looked at the other end, on the older side. A 2008 Outback 2.5i, 86K miles is $13.5k. Very clean. I know that very well having a bought a 2008 new , and 2009 Forester new. 13.5 seems high, but is this the going rate for clean older Subarus? The gamble would be if the heads will need to be done soon.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
GIAnt used car lot?
Never

Tip get the vin# and visit your local Subaru dealer ask to see the car history and service notes. Its like a diary it will give you location, repair, owners comments, dates, mileage logged by the service reps and tech notes etc. Tell the Service desk you want a safe properly cared for car for your daughter and want to check for recalls and basic history etc. There is no personal info that makes it a security problem other than taking time to show you there is no reason to not share it.

Try to pick a quiet time like 11am or 1pm etc.

Go back and confirm the vin on the car matches and check the mileage also. I’ve caught rolled back odo this way and false vin#’s given ie a different car / vin used in hopes no one actually checks the cars vin plate etc.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
2010-2015 = cvt extended warranty, that expire at 100,000 miles. :frown2:

so I guess you are looking at manual or older 4EAT imprezas.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,399 Posts
I've used CarMax - once (twice, sort of).

I traded in a pretty old beater when I got my OB. I went to Carmax to get a quote from them on buying back my old car, then got a trade-in quote from the Subie dealer. I figured I'd go with whichever worked best.

The other time I ended up getting a car for my soon-to-go-to-college daughter. They generally have late model vehicles, not really as cheap as you can find at other places, but they do seem to be pretty well maintained. They will do some maintenance prior to selling them, like oil changes. They also have discount lot with higher mileage cars.

Finding a cheap OB there will be hard to do.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2010-2015 = cvt extended warranty, that expire at 100,000 miles. :frown2:

so I guess you are looking at manual or older 4EAT imprezas.
I havent done homework on the CVT, I thought the 5 door Impreza would be a good fit, which years should you stay away from?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
I havent done homework on the CVT, I thought the 5 door Impreza would be a good fit, which years should you stay away from?
2012-15

FB20 has a extended warranty,

and so does the CVT.

_______

what I would buy in a impreza: 2008-2011. 2.5 4EAT. (head gaskets are fixable,... earlier impreza are a little tight on room, and my days of standing on the wheel well with my left foot behind the wheel are over).

for the matter of size though, you can round up a 2006-2009 legacy or outback wagon,
and get a little more all the way around over the impreza, and more room under the hood too. (such makes for easier maint paid or DIY).

Foresters, the FB landed in them in 2011 ...so those are bad from 2011-15.
(the ones to buy if your butt can stand the front seat for more then 45 min:
2009-10, a little more room then the earlier series, and a EJ253 with a 4EAT)

_______

want something slightly used 2016 and newer as the engines and transmissions are fixed with better parts the the earlier ones.

. and if you have it to spend, think global platform ones:

2017 impreza, and 2018 crosstrek.
(global platform is a quantum leap over anything in the past, when out shopping give one a try for future thought, even if you don't want to buy).

·
Registered
484 Posts
Where is z28 I think his son works for them. I have heard prices are a little high but they try to sell quality cars. The used car business is tough and unless you know and trust seller it's hard to know true history. I think the true sign is a great maintenance record and not a minor fender bender. It crazy that some will not look at cars that have minor accidents , but show the car was maintain by dealer accordingly to manufacture specification. To me that is much more important than it had fender or bumpet replaced . Best luck Doug

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Where is z28 I think his son works for them. I have heard prices are a little high but they try to sell quality cars. The used car business is tough and unless you know and trust seller it's hard to know true history. I think the true sign is a great maintenance record and not a minor fender bender. It crazy that some will not look at cars that have minor accidents , but show the car was maintain by dealer accordingly to manufacture specification. To me that is much more important than it had fender or bumpet replaced . Best luck Doug
I'm right here. My son does work for CarMax as a service advisor.

Joe_Pine, are you saying you have access to the CarMax employee discount? If you do that cannot be beat.

Joe_Pine do you have any specific questions.?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm right here. My son does work for CarMax as a service advisor.

Joe_Pine, are you saying you have access to the CarMax employee discount? If you do that cannot be beat.

Joe_Pine do you have any specific questions.?

I have access to the Subaru USA discount.

No specific CarMax questions, I was wondering if anyone else felt the same as I do, the prices for 1 to 3 year old cars makes me question why buy from them, might as well buy new.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
33 Posts
I've sold two cars to CarMax, and done well - they offered me $8,000 for car that no dealer would give more than $7,000 in trade. However, they're not interested in older cars so you'll get a very low offer on an older car, but decent on a newer car (3-4 years or less). I haven't bought a used car since 1988, at CarMax or anywhere else, so I don't know what that's like other than I'm told there's no haggling?

·
Registered
5,892 Posts

No specific CarMax questions, I was wondering if anyone else felt the same as I do, the prices for 1 to 3 year old cars makes me question why buy from them, might as well buy new.
CarMax strives to make around 12% on each vehicle regardless of age.

The question to buy 1-3 year old cars used or just buy new is not unique to CarMax. Depends how much the vehicles you are considering have depreciated in that first 3 years.

·
Registered
2018 Outaback 2.5i Limited with eyesight.
90 Posts
I sold my truck to Carmax in 2016. They were willing to give me much more for it than the three dealers I had it appraised at, all three were lower on the ACV of the trade. Sold it to Carmax and went and negotiated the price on the truck I bought at another dealership.

Every used car I've priced at Carmax seems to have been overpriced compared to comparable cars from other dealers so I have never bought from them. They don't negotiate their prices either so it is what it is.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
wondering if anyone here has used them?
For purchasing a vehicle for myself, no. We have customers that will go there and get numbers from them all the time (there's one just down the street from us). We really don't mind. They'll either affirm what we came up with, they'll (sometimes) do a better inspection than we can, so we have more confidence in coming close to their offer, or they'll miss us wildly because they're not limited to the local market for figuring trades, in which case I tell my customers to simply sell them the car and call me when they're done and I'll come pick them up in mine.

Heck, there are even times when they'll buy a used car from us, or if they have one that they've taken in trade that needs warranty work, it'll end up here being fixed.

You mentioned you're concerned about a pre-owned Subaru. Our cars have the least depreciation and highest resale value of any brand. There are times when I have retired service loaners on my lot that, sure, you can save $2,000 buying one versus buying a new one. But then you're buying a pre-owned, so you don't get new car interest rates, you do miss at least part of the new car warranty, and at least here, you get two years free maintenance on new cars. (Sunbelt thing.) If you have military VIP or Subaru VIP pricing, just buy her a new Impreza or Crosstrek and then don't worry about it.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts

Joe used car prices jumped 40% in the last 8yrs. The jump was so dramatic that new car dealers who never bothered selling used were scrambling to set up used lots and buying up every used car they can including craigs list private sellers being called by dealers.

So yes your observation on used car prices are right.

For instance in 2009 my 100% working all original maintained nothing needed 2001 Legacy GT Limited at 180,000 was only worth about $1300 private sale. CA no rust car.

Today I see the same car complete pile of junk needing new struts, needing a new transmission, needing head gaskets etc selling for over $2000 in a day.

I just watched a neighbor sell his 290,000 mile Camry in a day. $2500! Nutz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts