Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this being my first new vehicle (2012 Outback 2.5i Limited) that I've ever owned (meaning I got to see what it looked like at mile 4 versus 30K or 60K like my previous purchases), particularly with a charcoal/black interior, I'm rather frustrated to see that there appears to be some prominent fading to the carpet around the console in the rear passenger area around the footwells where the sun apparently crept in via the windshield as I can see a clearly imprinted silhouette from the console. I neglected to get a sunshade for it right away (I will be getting one - I just keep forgetting to order) but I bought this new and delivered Dec 14 2011.

My questions are, should I really anticipate this sort of (what I consider) premature fading and would I have a claim to take it to a dealer to get the carpet replaced under warranty for what I consider inferior quality? I'm just stunned to see the prominent shadow lines "burned" into the carpet, not to mention that my black leather all around is otherwise unscathed and no detectable signs of wear, fade, etc. are evident at all. I get that the sun is harsh, but this is ridiculous. Did they use vampire pubes to weave this stuff? Sorry, my frustrations are starting to wear me down. Time to end this post while I still have any credibility left. :) Looking forward to the feedback! I sure hope I'm not expecting a miracle. I'll furnish photos later.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
So this being my first new vehicle (2012 Outback 2.5i Limited) that I've ever owned (meaning I got to see what it looked like at mile 4 versus 30K or 60K like my previous purchases), particularly with a charcoal/black interior, I'm rather frustrated to see that there appears to be some prominent fading to the carpet around the console in the rear passenger area around the footwells where the sun apparently crept in via the windshield as I can see a clearly imprinted silhouette from the console. I neglected to get a sunshade for it right away (I will be getting one - I just keep forgetting to order) but I bought this new and delivered Dec 14 2011.
:ttiwwp:

1) Automotive carpet should never fade (especially not in this short of time). The pigments are not dyed, they are melted in before it is spun which means they are resistant to bleach and other chemicals (but not bleach proof).
2) The only time I have ever seen automotive carpet fade is because of abuse.

I'm not saying you did it but you might have a hard time making a claim if it is indeed abuse.

a) How do you clean your carpet what have you tired so far?
b) Does anyone else clean you carpet like a car wash detail place?
c) Are the carpet just dirty? Have you tired vacuuming the area?

Sun damage can definitively happen over many years but it's not something that should happen this soon and I highly suspect something else is going on that just looks like sun damage. Your dealer would say the same.

The First thing anyone should try to clean any spot/stain/dirt with is WATER. Water is a great stain remover and no one thinks it is as good as it is. Then go to a gental highly diluted soap. Then ask for advice. I've been cleaning carpets for 6 years and I can tell you people buy a can of "stuff" at the store and then are surprised that they now have a hole in the carpet. Stay away from carpet cleaners/spotters in a can.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I believe sour milk causes this, which is why you should never allow children to eat in your car. In fact, not allowing children in your car at all, ever, would be even more effective.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
4wheeldog
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing