·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I did it a long time ago and had documented it extensively on this forum. Unfortunately, photobucket now charges $399 annually to host pictures, so all of my photos are now dead. Where were you like 5-6 years ago when this was hot stuff? :grin2:

I initially installed an Appradio 2 and then updated it with the Appradio 4 when that came out.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ioneer-appradio-2-installed-2012-outback.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 Limited CVT, 2-3" ADF lift, and more
47 Posts
I did it a long time ago and had documented it extensively on this forum. Unfortunately, photobucket now charges $399 annually to host pictures, so all of my photos are now dead. Where were you like 5-6 years ago when this was hot stuff? :grin2:

I initially installed an Appradio 2 and then updated it with the Appradio 4 when that came out.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ioneer-appradio-2-installed-2012-outback.html
Apparently same place I was as I am just now looking at this as well!! I have the same package as the OP, but my biggest question is whether I can "hotwire" the OEM back up cam to a new HU that lists as having inputs for rear cam, but does not check the box for compatible with factory bu cam. I too am looking at Crutchfield who does a great job of listing compatible units. Seems like I can retain everything else factory like steering wheel controls and xm antenna. My hunch is of course I can make it work, but I am a poor electrician. Guess I'll see...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I realize this is 6-months late, but I'm in the process of upgrading my '13 with HK w/Nav to a Sony dual-DIN with CarPlay: https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax100

I ordered a non-nav bezel off eBay a while back and the seller sent me the wrong one. There are two versions that fit the gen4 outback/legacy and both add storage to the dash below the screen. One has an open slot, and the other adds a door. I wanted the latter, was sent the former, and had to go through a rigamarole to return/refund. I ordered from a different seller and got what I wanted.

According to the guys I talked to, everything should integrate with the steering wheel buttons, backup camera, and the in-console USB port. They're going to install an iDataLink Maestro to interface with things. iDatalink - Maestro - Home

I'll update in a couple weeks when the parts arrive and everything gets installed.

Note that the XAV-AX-100 doesn't support satellite radio, HD radio, CD/DVD playback, or have native navigation support. None of those are important to me. I think I've used the CD twice in the 5+ years we've had the car

Reactions: mikeyvt

·
Registered
13 3.6 SAP
153 Posts
I realize this is 6-months late, but I'm in the process of upgrading my '13 with HK w/Nav to a Sony dual-DIN with CarPlay: https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax100

I ordered a non-nav bezel off eBay a while back and the seller sent me the wrong one. There are two versions that fit the gen4 outback/legacy and both add storage to the dash below the screen. One has an open slot, and the other adds a door. I wanted the latter, was sent the former, and had to go through a rigamarole to return/refund. I ordered from a different seller and got what I wanted.

According to the guys I talked to, everything should integrate with the steering wheel buttons, backup camera, and the in-console USB port. They're going to install an iDataLink Maestro to interface with things. iDatalink - Maestro - Home

I'll update in a couple weeks when the parts arrive and everything gets installed.

Thanks for the update. I’m wanting to do this eventually so following along on how they get the camera and steering controls to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Note that I'm having this installed for me, not installing it myself, so I won't have all the technical details. Apparently the backup camera will need a 6V step-down in order to not blow out the camera.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The installer at major bigbox electronics retailer installed the head unit today. Overall, the interface seems much better than the factory nav. Siri works well, and the iPhone CarPlay is waaaay better than the factory iPod interface or Bluetooth. I have a few CarPlay-compatible apps (e.g. Downcast for for podcasts) and those work without needing to unlock the screen. I'm not sure about Apple Maps as I normally use Waze, but it's almost infinitely superior to the factory nav in any case. I swear, I tried the voice recognition on it once way back in the day, and then when I got the Aha 'upgrade' (which was also crap), and it was still terrible.

Oddly, I was informed that I apparently had SiriusXM service on the factory radio car, and I know I never paid them for it. That was weird: I never used it, and I checked my credit cards and can't find anything indicating that I was being billed for anything. I did do the SiriusXM class-action settlement, but I literally never used the service.

I have a few minor quibbles with the install, but I think I'll get used to most of them.

The AUX is now disabled, but I never used this anyway. The USB port in the console storage also doesn't work, and he couldn't/didn't wire it in: Instead, there's a small cord end in that storage location. no big deal.

The angle of the screen is now completely vertical, and the screen is inset significantly. I don't know if there are any dash kits that would fix this, but I'm skeptical that they would even exist.

There's now a small microphone at the roofline of the A pillar. I was hoping that the factory microphone in the ceiling would have been used, but I didn't ask on that as I didn't notice until after I left. I'll follow-up about that.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Apparently there does exist a dash kit that changes the angle of the head unit screen to be more aligned with the actual dash, but the one that I found appears to be black instead of a not-quite-matching color/texture silver. Metra Part # 95-8904B | Subaru Legacy Dash kit (from possible parts here: Metra Online r: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited ). Not sure that would be a better choice or not, but for $12-ish at Amazon, I might try it out. On the other hand, the installation instructions (pdf)) include the following somewhat scary words:

3. Using an air saw, hacksaw, or similar cutting tool, cut to the inside of the radio’s lower mounting holes, through the plastic and metal bracket.

Note: Cut on the inside of each hole as close to the hole as you can get. If cut properly you may re-use two bottom factory screws, if not use self tapping screws on the bottom.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
497 Posts
You probably didn't have a Serius/XM subscription, they've been running a free listening period since around the 14th or so of the month through Memorial Day weekend. - Everybody with a factory receiver should currently have free service until I believe Tuesday or Weds of next week.

I canned my subscription several months back, and just have my Android phone auto load Pandora on connection, which streams via Bluetooth to my radio. - Bonus, I can skip a song I don't like on Pandora using the steering wheel controls, where with XM I end up browsing up/down the other nearby channels when a song I don't care for starts.

I'm right on the fence of replacing my factory Nav unit with an Android Auto/Apple Car-Play unit. I like that 10" Tesla style unit, but haven't bitten that bullet yet, as it's a no-name from China, so I'm watching these posts with great interest. Looking at either replacing the HU and maybe adding a lift, or trading for a newer model with the upgraded electronics later in the year, when the 7/100 warranty is done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does anyone know what color vinyl tape would best match the brushed metal look on the dash? I see "brushed steel", "brushed aluminum", "gunmetal", and "brushed titanium" options available. I could buy the flush-mount kit and some of that tape to spruce up the black....
@cyberdog433: do those 10" units you mention actually do Android Auto/CarPlay, or are they simply Android-based head units? I don't know how the Android Auto stuff works, but CarPlay with iPhones presents a drastically simplified interface and only gives you access to a limited set of CarPlay-approved apps. I found a couple of what appear to be the '10" Tesla style' units you mentioned, but they seem to have "iPhone mirroring," which is not the same thing.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
497 Posts
I believe they do Android Auto, but am not 100% positive. They're running Android 7 (or at least 6) in most cases, which does support screen mirroring. If I was setting one up, I'd probably just tether my head-unit to the phone for data, and run the app on the head-unit.

There is a member currently setting one of the up on his Limited with Kenwood based Navigation, who has overcome most of the obstacles, and has been posting updates. Those units are actually mean to replace the non-navigation equipped models, so there's a few quirks that need to be worked out in a factory nav equipped model.

My wife has the Subaru 8" Android Auto/Car-Play system in her Crosstrek, and it works nicely. (Android Auto). When first connected it comes up with big basic buttons, but you can choose Nav, Apps, etc from along the bottom to access additional features. - And having the Google Assistant just by pushing the voice command button on the wheel is nice. - Now if they would support wifi Android Auto to eliminate the cord, it would be awesome. (Coming with the next update of android, and hopefully it's available on her head unit - bluetooth launches AA on her phone, so just maybe).

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i Limited
68 Posts

So were you able to maintain all factory steering-wheel controls (2 phone switches, voice command switch, etc) with the iDataLink Maestro RR? I have a 2012 HK non-nav and it isn't clear from iDataLink's site what is supported (doesn't appear to show my steering wheel). I have emailed them and will update.

Was interested to see Tire Pressure Display and Battery Voltage Display as options, though I would like to confirm that someone who actually has it installed that this all works.

BTW looks like you can maintain Aux/USB with this iDatalink part: ACC-USB-SU1

Here's a link to their configurator:
iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro RR

·
Registered
54 Posts
They used an iDataLink Maestro SW on mine, so I can't speak to the rest. The basic steering wheel controls seem to work, but I'm not sure if the "long press" functionality was properly programmed. The head unit does have remapping available internally, but I haven't tried it yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts