Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited 3.6R w/ Nav & Eyesight
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I'm looking for something like this that would mount to my cross bars for carrying a canoe:

Yakima Gunwale Brackets - Yakima Canoe Racks

There doesn't seem to much of anything like this available - anyone have any slick solutions? I don't really want foam blocks on top of my car rubbing around, and I'd buy a Landing Pad if they were available.

thoughts?

thanks!
dan

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hi all - I'm looking for something like this that would mount to my cross bars for carrying a canoe:

Yakima Gunwale Brackets - Yakima Canoe Racks

There doesn't seem to much of anything like this available - anyone have any slick solutions? I don't really want foam blocks on top of my car rubbing around, and I'd buy a Landing Pad if they were available.

thoughts?

thanks!
dan
Hey Dan canoe's by design have hard rails they rest on. We have a 16footer I've hauled on several cars including our OB. Simply lay it upside down over the cross bars. Use a truckers hitch on rope or even webbing across the center of the canoe tied to the cross bars. This is your primary hold on the canoe. The stock cross bars have ribs on the underside that help keep your tie from sliding side to side. This keeps your canoe put also. Then hood straps up front one line from each side of the hood to the bow of the canoe tied finger tight to keep it square and from stressing the hull with side to side wind loads etc. Then a simple single tie from the rear and your good. No need for the fancy little bar chalks. My Yakima bars are slick and are a little more tricky to tie too and to avoid slipping side to side but thats easily fixed with cross tie which keeps the ties to the bars at the edge of the canoe from moving side to side. Not a big deal not really worth spending money on.

When I need a wide bar width on the OB I simply use the old Yakima rail grabs on the stowed stock bars then either run my 54 inch bars or 66 inch bars pending what I need. I haul my 54inch wide 12ft long 130lb sailboat up there like that also works great zero issues.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I would say the best money I've spent on rack gear has been the Yakima Rail grabs and our Thule box. Both have been used on countless vehicles with zero issues and have proven to give me lots of options when I've needed them.

By the way 66 inch bars will fit your standard 16ft canoe and narrow ish roof box. Our box is about 32inches edge to edge width wise. Fits with the 16foot canoe easily.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
....... The stock cross bars have ribs on the underside that help keep your tie from sliding side to side.

SS, Those are gone on the 2013's so it will take a bit more attention to prevent side to side slipping.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
SS, Those are gone on the 2013's so it will take a bit more attention to prevent side to side slipping.
I recall hearing that

Then you need to use either line or webbing make two wraps around the cross bar this enables the strap or line to grip the bar when you snug it up. This helps greatly in keeping them from sliding left or right.

If your doing a fairly long trip vs say just across town etc. I then take a short line and tie outside the canoe strap on the cross bar and run across to the other side and find a way to tie it so it holds the straps from slipping to the outside edges. Works easier on the Yakima bars given you simply go around the bar outside of the opposite bar foot. The stock bars make this harder to do given you don't have much to grip too.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
you could also probably just use some wood working clamps and clamp the cross bar creating your own bumpers that keep the canoe square and from sliding left of right. Maybe put a little leash line on them just incase they work loose they stay with the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Long time lurker here, but, had to register as a fellow canoe and Outback owner to inform you of a new product just released by Yakima.

My Outback is a 2003 LL Bean, on which I use the Yakima crossbars and canoe gunnel holders with straps. This combo works very well, but is not compatible with the current generation Outback.

I recently attended a Paddlefest, where a Yakima exhibit and factory rep where present, and they have a new product called the "Keelover", which attaches directly to the Outbacks factory cross bars. It is designed so that it works with many automakers, so I'm sure it will be popular. It comes with straps and retails for $99.00. Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you have a hitch?

If you have a hitch, I recommend using a goal post type extension.

http://www.prolineracks.com/thule-997-goal-post.html

The benefit is that you can load it by yourself without scratching your car.

My canoe is about 100 lbs and is too cumbersome to load by myself. My last car shows the scratches from doing so.

The hitch mount also takes some of the weight off the roof.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
I use the Thule 450 Crossroad Railing Foot Pack clamped on to the stowed factory crossbars along with Thule Square Load Bars and Thule Canoe Carrier. This combination is very secure, easy to use, and holds the canoe in all directions to prevent shifting. It comes with easy to tighten cross straps and front/rear lines. I've hauled the canoe many thousands of miles in all weather conditions (even snow) and never had a problem. I wish I had back all the time in my life spent messing with ropes, questionable bars, straps that vibrated, and noisy carriers prior to getting the Thule equipment. Do it right and save yourself unnecessary hassles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Long time lurker here, but, had to register as a fellow canoe and Outback owner to inform you of a new product just released by Yakima.

My Outback is a 2003 LL Bean, on which I use the Yakima crossbars and canoe gunnel holders with straps. This combo works very well, but is not compatible with the current generation Outback.

I recently attended a Paddlefest, where a Yakima exhibit and factory rep where present, and they have a new product called the "Keelover", which attaches directly to the Outbacks factory cross bars. It is designed so that it works with many automakers, so I'm sure it will be popular. It comes with straps and retails for $99.00. Hopes this helps.
That helps a lot! Thanks! I think this will be perfect...

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
510 Posts
If you have a hitch recommend you consider a canoe trailer. The car will handle better with out the canoe upsetting aerodynamicsof the car. You may get better mpg with a trailer.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If you have a hitch recommend you consider a canoe trailer. The car will handle better with out the canoe upsetting aerodynamicsof the car. You may get better mpg with a trailer.
When you haul a boat hull inverted on the roof of the car especially a hull like a canoe that sits flat upside down the impact on mileage actually is not very large. Bikes on the roof have a much larger impact than the upturned hull of a canoe.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
Cancelled out quickly by how much of a pain it is to drive with a trailer. Every time you park, or get gas, or go through a drive-through it's one more thing to think about. If it's just a single canoe, throwing it on the roof is super convenient!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah - no room for a trailer in my garage - it's filled with canoes! Well, just two - MNII & a Bell Magic. I do like the trailers for hauling 4 canoes plus gear, but otherwise it's the roof for me!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dstedman: The Bell Magic is a fast and maneuverable solo canoe. I also have two in my garage, one is a Bell North Star, which is sort of a two seat version of your Magic; and the other is an old Moore Peter Pond fiberglass which is used for river running.

I noticed in your signature that you have a 2013 Outback 3.6 Limited with Nav and Eyesight, which is exactly what I am considering, as my 2003 LL Bean is at 133k miles. Although I have test driven it, I have not had the opportunity to get it out on an Interstate to see how it handles at 65mph or higher. I have noticed quite a few threads here regarding wandering and other steering anomalies at cruising speeds, and was curious whether you have experienced any such problems?

Thanks. If you purchase the Yakima 'Keelover" let me know how it works for you, and good paddling!

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback, Yokomaha Geolandar A/T - S Tires, Weathertech floorliners & window deflectors, K&N airfilter
12 Posts
Do you use bow/stern lines? What do you attach them to?

·
Registered
2012, Outback, 2.5 Limited
41 Posts
Great thread, we picked up our 2011 this past winter, and am now trying to figure out how to strap canoe down. We have a Old Towne, planning on making a few trips down the St. Croix and BWCA. I've always used the foam blocks, but would like to explore other options.

SS, could you post or send pictures of the set up you were talking about?

Thanks,

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Do you use bow/stern lines? What do you attach them to?
Hood loops very simple nylon webing straps with a grommet. You unscrew one of the fender sheet metal screws under the hood right along the fender and screw it back in through the grommet. Then you simply pass the nylon strap/loop through the hood/fender gap and you have a bow tie down. I have them on my truck and will eventually toss them on my OB too.

Takes about 5 minutes to install them. Works great for bow tie on the boats.

·
Registered
2012, Outback, 2.5 Limited
41 Posts
Here's a video of the Yakima Keelover and talks about hood loops.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts