Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I just made a video discussing nuances of using Thule Portage gunwale brackets / tow hook / hood loops for transporting a canoe on 2018 Outback Touring. Thought it might help some of you!

(because this is my first post, I can't add the Youtube URL) - I'll update this post w/ URL asap.

Colorful Colorado

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag (retired: 2.5 Ltd Sedan)
26,225 Posts
All,

I just made a video discussing nuances of using Thule Portage gunwale brackets / tow hook / hood loops for transporting a canoe on 2018 Outback Touring. Thought it might help some of you!

(because this is my first post, I can't add the Youtube URL) - I'll update this post w/ URL asap.

Colorful Colorado
what is the youtube URL without the http? (I will add a working link if I can )

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium 6MT
19 Posts
We used to use the hoop loops and tie downs to the rear hitch, but our boat is so stable with just two straps on it that we quit using the other stuff. Are we crazy? We have a Native Ultimate by the way - not really a canoe, not really a kayak.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,307 Posts
I've carried 12 foot kayaks with nothing but two ratchet straps on the factory crossbars.

I think for a longer load I would want tie downs front and rear. Would really want them if travelling long distances on the interstate.

I like the idea of the hood straps but from the video does look like it's getting some rubbing on the hood.

Wonder if there is a way to avoid this?

Although I agree with your take. I've got a dent on my roof. Oh well, it's a Subaru. *shrug*

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
457 Posts
I carried a 17 ft. canoe a few hundred miles this past summer on my ‘17 OB, Interstate speeds, had it tied to the Yakima roof bars. Only needs the front straps (Seattle Sports Quick Loops), mostly to stabilize the front. Didn’t need the rears, no good place to install except with the rear hatch closed and I wasn’t happy with that.

·
Registered
2019 Touring 3.6
27 Posts
very helpful

- newbie with '19 touring & Old Town Discovery 169

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Magnetite Grey
53 Posts
We use 4 motorcycle tie down straps. Two on the rear hitch and two on these loops in the front hood. They rub the paint a bit but if you twist the strap a couple times there isn't much vibration and the hood is aluminum so whatever.
At the front I use the deckplate handle and at the rear I strap to the seat so the canoe is pulled back tight as well. Without the bike rack you can get into the rear pretty fast just undoing the rear straps. With the bike rack its a process but the kids are useful to get things back there.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts