Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on this forum ever used Cars Direct to purchase or price a car?

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Only to price the 2004 Impreza Outback Sport last month, for trade-in value of old truck too (seemed low, as usual).

It all came out close to what I found at the local dealership when I got there (excepting options). Of course, the making of a deal helped; otherwise, I think it would have been off by $1000 in the dealership's favor {edit: well, they get nothing from tax, mentioned next}. This is considering tax (3.5% here) and registration, etc. which Cars Direct doesn't account for.

I also checked at edmunds.com, consumerguide.com. Only ones I could still name right now. Cars Direct certainly is a "direct" and simple to use web site. Fact is, in the end, I got the same price Cars Direct shows I could get and that was what I worked from.

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
I almost bought a car through cars direct, I was looking at getting a toyota MR2 Spyder awhile ago and had a problem finding one that I wanted and contacted a person through cars direct. The guy was very nice in that he was able to look in some kind of database and tell me exactly which dealer had which car coming to them. I told him I was looking for an electric green mica, the Sequential tranny, etc.etc and he told me 3 dealerships in VA that had them coming to them (within 2 weeks). I called them up, put my deposit on them before the car arrived and got my Spyder. He had no problem even telling me even though the dealership I bought it from was not in his network and he wouldn't make a cent. Nice guy too.

So even though I didn't buy a car via carsdirect, they seem to be class guys.

jay

·
Registered
05 OBXT Ltd, Atlantic Blue
58 Posts
One of my friends bought his lexus through them and said it was really simple and easy. I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do when time comes to buy a new outback. I priced an '05 XT LTd through cars direct and it came to about $600 over invoice, which I think is pretty good for no haggling (around $28,XXX). What i'm most likely to do is take the cars direct printout to my dealership when its time to go and tell them to beat it with their best price if they want a sale (including all their misc. documentation fees which can be like $500).. Hopefully that will get me somwhere, and I would be giving a local dealership business. If they say forget it, then I'm still getting a great deal through cars direct!

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
From my understanding, you still get cars from cars direct through a local dealership, but it has to be in "their network". Kind of like an HMO for cars.... You contact CD and they tell you which dealers in your area and then you deal with a person that is their associated rep for that dealership.

Anyway, if you don't want to haggle, why don't you get the car AT invoice from many of the clubs that Subaru sponsors... IMBA, ACA, etc. etc. Why pay above invoice at all?

Jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts