1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hmmm well seems pretty biased to me, I can't really comment on the truck thing though as that's just something Subaru are doing in the North American market, certainly not here.. Of course to be called a truck here it would have to be able to carry at least 5 tons. Subaru explained the Light Truck classification in it's press release on the new Outback anyway, the new model has better fuel economy than the old, so I don't see how the story is justifed making digs about fuel economy, a motoring magazine here actually said the 2.5i was extremely economical... Also Audi have the luxury AWD market sewn up? Definitely not down under, Audi would sell less AWD than BMW or Mercedes here.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Let's see, the new Outback (as is necessary for any car sold in the US) is fully & exhaustively compliant with all applicable regulations. Per govt. regulation the new design is classified as a light truck. Per govt. regulation an auto manufacturer must meet fuel efficiency standards that weight & average the various classifications of models in their fleet. Even if this reclassification was a deliberate design goal on the part of Subaru they have done absolutely nothing wrong.

If people are so upset about this they need to take it up with the government regulators who wrote those rules- not a company designing a product that is fully compliant with all of them.

I do find it ironic that eco-zealots traditionally allegiant to Subaru for their practical alternatives to larger SUVs have suddenly turned against the company- even before full specs are published & certainly before any cars have hit American showrooms. I also agree with the actual commentary from the posted link that its risky for Subaru to think they need to "re-niche" themselves.

Speaking of automotive loopholes, this reminds me of that tax provision intended to help small business owners with the purchase of heavy machinery- as it happens, this includes vehicles classified as trucks exceeding a certain gross weight rating.

Basically, people are able to purchase SUVs like Porsche Cayennes, Mercedes-Benz G-class & Cadillac Escalades & write off the *entire* purchase in one tax year. read more here

Plenty of people ***** about it, but their ire is appropriately directed at the government for writing tax code that allows it- not at those who (totally legally) benefit from it. Hey, if I had the cash & wanted a Cayenne turbo, I'd do it too!

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
reality check!

I totally agree with the articles! It's sad to see manufacters screw you with poor fuel economy! I think they're all in it with big oil to get every last bit squeezed out of you! The technology is there why aren't we using it?
bigger/faster but not better! Crash test thats absurd! Subarus are no match compared to a Suburban! maybe for rollover......I'd rather be in the big suv getting t-boned by an outback ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Maybe they ought to fire their ire (sorry about that) at the big Ford Excursions and Chevy Blazers and Suburbans and other big gas guzzling V8's etc which use HUGE amounts of fuel rather than pick on Subaru's 3.0R because it uses slightly more than what is allowed by the regs.

Don't forget it STILL uses much less than probably all if not most 6's and all V8's. Shouldn't they direct their rage at these cars?

Fortunately, if this is all they can come up with to critisize Subaru then I'll sleep well!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
*G* I liked hearing a radio interview with someone who said it cost more than $75 to fill the 33-gallon tank on his Suburban.

Yes, but you need that truck, you need it - so you can kill people when you run red lights.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was told that since the Outback is classified as a truck that they can use privacy glass on the side and back glass legally,not the 2 front.No more expensive aftermarket tint that don't last.I think the privacy glass only comes on the Turbo model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speaking of the truck classification, does anyone here believe an Escalade's purpose is to be a truck? Can you even visualize one off road on purpose? LOL! I think the gov't is screwed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have been told that part of the reason the new OB is classified as a truck is its approach and departure angles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
Mericet
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing