Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2003 Subaru Outback Wagon LS
I was taking my mom to work one day and my car had almost no acceleration power, missfiring and shut off 3 times before dropping her off .
then i noticed the cat converter was molten red and my exhaust smelled like butt hole.
also when testing the coil pack #1 was pretty gnarly looking and also the Wire plugged into it was corroded

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
could be a timing issue as in the belt has slipped some teeth or was recently installed incorrectly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could be a timing issue as in the belt has slipped some teeth or was recently installed incorrectly.
that could be part of it cause it does sound like i need a new belt, but i defiantly need a new coil pack, just asking around to see if anything else could help :)

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,839 Posts
seems like a misfiring cylinder sending a LOT of unburned fuel thru.

CEL on? did you read the trouble code(s) ?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
There are likely multiple issues with the vehicle that need to be addressed immediately if you wish to have a running vehicle and not a pile of scrap.

Miles?
Service history?
CEL on?
Known issues?
ANYTHING about the vehicle at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are likely multiple issues with the vehicle that need to be addressed immediately if you wish to have a running vehicle and not a pile of scrap.

Miles?
Service history?
CEL on?
Known issues?
ANYTHING about the vehicle at all.

I haven't driven it since this happened, its 160k
CEL is on and has been on for months ( its from the o2 sensor)
no crazy issues never had problems until this day
i cant check for codes cause i will not drive it till i get my new Coil pack , Spark plugs and Wires in the mail

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seems like a misfiring cylinder sending a LOT of unburned fuel thru.

CEL on? did you read the trouble code(s) ?
yeah im 95% sure thats it, the coil pack is rotton and when pulling the wire out i saw that it was corroded and also the metal inside the wire ripped from the tube

i would go check the codes but i dont own the tool to check codes ( will buy one in the future)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
updated thread title.

(Cad Conver >>> Cat Converter. )

I would start with NGK plugs and plug wires, and a Original subaru coil pack. one that says "subaru" stamped on the front of it.

used is OK if you can find one off a 2001-2004 legacy, outback, impreza, forester. (2000 are weirdos).

edit: subaru OEM # for the coil is 22433AA570
amazon is really cheap on these

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-1999-2006-Subaru-Ignition-Coil/dp/B00CBYBUPW/

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,839 Posts
if the car was driving, most parts stores will scan for free. (maybe you can 'loan' one from them?)

if you have a smartphone, you could get a free app like Torque and use it with a cheap ELM327 BT adapter - decent ones can be had for $15 to $25 or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
updated thread title.

(Cad Conver >>> Cat Converter. )

I would start with NGK plugs and plug wires, and a Original subaru coil pack. one that says "subaru" stamped on the front of it.

used is OK if you can find one off a 2001-2004 legacy, outback, impreza, forester. (2000 are weirdos).
i ordered NGK plugs and wires , for the coil pack what would the difference be between different brands?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if the car was driving, most parts stores will scan for free. (maybe you can 'loan' one from them?)

if you have a smartphone, you could get a free app like Torque and use it with a cheap ELM327 BT adapter - decent ones can be had for $15 to $25 or so.
Oh dude thats awesome to know!! i didnt know you could do it with your phone haha

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
i ordered NGK plugs and wires , for the coil pack what would the difference be between different brands?
updated my original post.

$131 buys the real original new subaru one, aftermarket things can and do make for more problems. (like might work for a month, just beyond the time to return it and then make for miss-fires.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
updated my original post.

$131 buys the real original new subaru one, aftermarket things can and do make for more problems. (like might work for a month, just beyond the time to return it and then make for miss-fires.)
word, im gonna start with an after market one first cause im super tight on money but then look for a new Original one for piece of mind
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
The red hot catalytic converter was due to lots of unburned fuel being dumped into the exhaust. If you cant afford a stock coil get one at the junk yard. They rarely ever fail. But after market coils are typically junk and either dont work or fail shortly after being installed.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,425 Posts
I haven't driven it since this happened, its 160k
CEL is on and has been on for months ( its from the o2 sensor)
no crazy issues never had problems until this day
i cant check for codes cause i will not drive it till i get my new Coil pack , Spark plugs and Wires in the mail

:surprise:

So many people do this. It really irritates me. Just asking for more trouble and $$$ than its worth.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
:surprise:

So many people do this. It really irritates me. Just asking for more trouble and $$$ than its worth.
subaru and all the rest should have made the check engine codes flash all the time to make people worry about breaking the car.

I wonder which o2 sensor it is, front or rear. (I missed that until you quoted). front one maybe destroying the car, just driving around with a single check engine light loading more different codes does not help.

_______

one time I was in a mechanics shop and he was cleaning a throttle body. he said the car belonged to one of his cousins,
(something like a 2000 mazda 323 with a toddler seat in it).

9 different check engine codes for different problems. the thing that made the car land in the garage: it physically would not start and drive anymore.

and the owner has money. and a toddler. in winter letting his wife drive around in a car with a unknown check engine light (s). mechanic said that the owner did not actually care about any vehicles outside of DIY oil changes, just drives them till they are dead beyond professional resurrection and then buys another marginal used thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts