Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great forum guys.

I am having a cat problem and I'm trying to save some money. Want to know the difficulty of a DIY cat install? Also, any tips or tricks to doing so. Appreciate any help. One more, any place to get "good price" on one. It is the 1st catalytic.

Again, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took it to Autozone today. P0420, "the catalyst system efficiency for bank 1 is below threshold for the current engine operating conditions"

I do not notice any performance changes, but do notice a drop in mileage, according to the trip odo.

Anyone with experience, would appreciate some insight.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I have had that CEL many times until I got the Pony Express MIL eliminator. That was due to me getting the header, exhaust, high flow cat section. It more or less means that there can be too much flow thru the cat and it not working properly. Now if you have done exhaust work, you can buy the problem fixer like a lot of Suby owners have to fix the CEL.

Otherwise, kill the cat and get the CEL fix. Or repalce the whole cat section with stock or aftermarket. Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
99 OBW, 2.5L auto, 126,000 miles.

Got it back from the dealer today, to see if it was in fact the Cat. Well, it is the CAT. BUT, the service counter guy said that the mechanic recommended NOT replacing as there is no harm being done to the engine. He stated that there was a hole in the cat. Asked about possible fixes, other than replacement, he said there is none. I am guessing that they could not recommend and repairs to a catalytic converter in fear of big brother looking/ listening in.?

So I guess I am going to save myself the money for the short term. I suppose that small hole will turn into a gaping wound that will require replacing some time.

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
I would be surprise if a fix for a catalytic converter would be possible. Inside your cat is a fine ceramic honey comb. I can't imagine opening that up, then trying to repair the structure fine structure and then resealing it. As you know also there are laws regulating cats. Here in Oregon you aren’t allowed to buy a used one or mess with it yourself. The other day when at the local wrecking yard I spotted a down pipe with one of the cats still attached but they said they couldn't let me take the cat, even for free… although the NY way of doing things sometimes is to drop a $20.

With that said another wrecking yard yesterday unwittingly sold me a down pipe with both cats attached for $45! :18: SCORE! I kept waiting for the guy to say “we can’t let you have it” but he didn’t.

With the exception of one of the cats everything else is in great shape (heat shields and all). The bolts connecting the cats together and the cat to the down pipe were a BEAR to break loose though and I'm still soar!

I will keep the good parts and install them with my good cat and a catback from a 2003 OB that I'm picking up this weekend.

The reason I'm doing all this work is because the subie is a NY car, rust and all. The entire exhaust system is pretty corroded and I'm afraid the whole thing is going to fall apart soon. A chance to pickup the catback for cheap and then when I found the cats and pipe was a boon so I decided to go for it now while I have the chance... I've been bargain shopping like mad the last couple of weeks and have saved probably around $1,500 on the exhaust alone.

Good luck and I will be watching this thread with great interest!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Subhuman
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing