Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
MY00 Legacy Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys..
Does anyone have a picture of the type of gasket used to join the centre section to the cat pipe, mine is blowing and I need to replace it but I would like an idea of what it looks like before I order the wrong one.
Car is MY00 non turbo 2.5 H4
Thank you :29:

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 05 Outback Limited
868 Posts
Hi guys..
Does anyone have a picture of the type of gasket used to join the centre section to the cat pipe, mine is blowing and I need to replace it but I would like an idea of what it looks like before I order the wrong one.
Car is MY00 non turbo 2.5 H4
Thank you :29:
If it's the flange with the springs on the bolts, that's the same gasket I'll be replacing this weekend. It's called a donut gasket, for obvious reasons ;)

http://passwordjdm.com/images/Products/3018L.jpg

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
commonly available at any auto parts store or Subaru.

subaru has a site called opposed forces with part numbers you can look up too.

·
Registered
MY00 Legacy Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I have owned subarus for a decade now and done many exhaust swaps, the only reason I asked was the fact I haven't pulled it apart yet and just wanted to make sure it was similar setup to my impreza and forester setups :29:

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 05 Outback Limited
868 Posts
Just picked up the parts for this job. Wonder how long I fuss with the bolts before cutting them off :)
Mine came apart surprisingly easy, and we're just as rusty in MN as you are in NY :)

A little PB Blaster will probably help, if you can get to it a couple days early to spray 'em.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. Last year had fought for hours getting front end link bolts off. Not going through that again.

I have sprayed with penetrating oil the past couple days so we'll see how that goes. Also will have propane torch handy but not going to waste much time before cutting :)

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
Well, took to cutting after 5-10 min. Endz of bolts were rusted bad. Even cutting took a few hours with th tools I have on hand. When I did get them free they came off like a shot. Those bolts are under some serious tension.

Spent considerable amount of time scraping down the flange getting all the old gasket off. Got new bolts on and just have to torque down. Anyone know the spec?

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
Ok, I have a decent exhaust leak. Took gasket off and cleaned more junk off but still have leak. Should I expect it to seal immediately or does it take time for the gasket to seal?

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
Tried last night to clean and smooth the mating surfaces w/sandpaper but still should not seal. Slapped on some high temp permatex and let sit overnight and so far holding. Seams like part of the problem is the rear section of pipe should be able to move more freely than it is and this does not allow the pipe ends to mate up easily.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
987 Posts
FSM says to loosen the bolt holding the rear of the converter to the body before tightening the flex joint, and to tighten that bolt again after.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
Agh, now you tell me :) Not sure why I couldn't figure that out after spending so long on my back under her last night. I was thinking that the piping on the other side (down stream) should be able to move a little more to make the connection go easier.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Angle grinder with a cut off wheel makes short work of those bolts. Pretty sure you torque them until the nut bottoms out (shoulder of the bolt hits the flange). . or at least that's what I do.

I've not had an issue with sealing at that area. Might have a bent flange or the pipe the donut gasket fits over is out of round. I probably have a spare of both ends if you want to replace them (will require welding).

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
Thanks for the offer. Stopped by my local indie muffler shop to have them take a look. They said everything looked fine and that it takes a couple longer trips for the system to get hot enough for the graphite to fuse and seal.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts