Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 Outback that needs a new catalytic converter. The dealership said the honeycomb is breaking down in the mid pipe and so I have a few questions.
1. do the catalytic converters come with the midpipe as a whole set or do I need to buy the midpipe in addition to the CC?
2. any recommendations for a non CARB CC?
3. should I replace O2 sensors while I’m at it?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
Miles?

Rust on pipes , flanges?

Yes to new o2 sensors, denso brand match subaru spec, and get a non dealer opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mileage is just over 210k, no rust. The estimate from the dealer was originally going to be about $5500 and then a muffler shop quoted me $1900.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,899 Posts
Are you in CA or NY?

The midpipe as in the one behind the exhaust manifold? Do you have the Y-pipe exhaust or is it a wrap around manifold that comes around to the front of the engine?

The intermediate/midpipe converter is not monitored. It's just there. Get under the car and look to see if there is an O2 sensor behind it or in the middle of it. If there is not a sensor, just put a straight pipe in its place. If it's got a sensor, take a pic of your exhaust and post it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts