Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bottom part heat shield on catalytic converter came off on my 1998 Legacy. Rusted off. Converter itself is just 2 years old. I called three mechanics and all they said it is no big deal and common, and many drive around not fixing it which surprised me. Anyone else have heat shields fall off and what did you do?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,123 Posts
the heat shields on cat converts are important:

keeps the heat inside it so the thing works properly, so as to not make the exhaust stink. (stink like hydrocarbons, when I first start up my H6 car and the cats are cold, at the back of the car it stinks like its the summer of 69.... insert brian adams' clip here).

keeps the heat of the cat away from the floor board of the car.

keeps things like plastic bags, dry leaves, dry cow manure etc. from getting stuck between the cat converter and the body of the car,...so as to not catch on fire.

________

the ones that are not so important: over the muffler.

Reactions: KentuckyOutback

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Yeah, you generally want to keep the heat in for longer catalyst life (less money spent) and lower emissions (slightly less planet-killing).

Also don't park in high grass until you've done something to fix it. Brushfires can be a drag.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,023 Posts
Why would a mechanic turn down a 15-minute job? All that has to be done is to drop down the exhaust, tack the shield back on, replace, out the door...
Shouldn't cost more than $30
And yes, I know older exhausts are as hard to take down as dating an unwed dog, but the OP said the exhaust is only 2 years old.
In fact, I'd take it back to that shop. They might do it for free! Wouldn't hurt...

·
Registered
1997 Outback 2.5 AT
186 Posts
i had the shield come loose on another car because the tack welds attaching the sheet metal shield to the cat body cracked.

i had some tie/bailing wire of some kind on hand, wrapped it around and twisted the ends to make it tight, made 3 such loops (long cat).
it'd been fine for the past 8 years...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts