Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2.5 Touring w/ Technology Package
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yesterday while getting my maintenance A work done on my 2015 outback, I was told that my catalytic converter was bad... or that the pipe internally was cracked. Does anyone have experience with this? My car's warranty is basically up now at 98,000km, so find this a bit odd. I thought catalytic converters should last longer too, no? Why would this part not last?

It doesn't help, but I just got a recall notice this morning regarding the "Front exhaust pipe assembly" possibly being "installed under a stressful condition", which may cause cracks. I don't want not trust my dealership, but has anyone had something similar happen with their outback?

Thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The catalytic converter cracking is the same as the front exhaust pipe assembly. It is a common part that cracks under the heat shielding at the flex coupler.

I haven't received a recall notice but would love to get one! It is not an inexpensive part, but labor to install is pretty easy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Was there a service engine light on? In my experience every time there was an emission issue a SES light came on. Also I question how they test this. I'm on my first Subaru, but with my previous eight GM vehicles if something like this came up the first thought was an oxygen sensor failure, which is much cheaper and easier to fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, yesterday while getting my maintenance A work done on my 2015 outback, I was told that my catalytic converter was bad... or that the pipe internally was cracked. Does anyone have experience with this? My car's warranty is basically up now at 98,000km, so find this a bit odd. I thought catalytic converters should last longer too, no? Why would this part not last?

It doesn't help, but I just got a recall notice this morning regarding the "Front exhaust pipe assembly" possibly being "installed under a stressful condition", which may cause cracks. I don't want not trust my dealership, but has anyone had something similar happen with their outback?

Thanks.
2016 OB with 83k miles, the flex pipe on my catalytic convertor/exhaust manifold cracked as well and was leaking exhaust into the cabin. I tried to weld it, but the metal is too thin (for my skills at least). I have it patched up with some super high temp epoxy for the time being and have been aftermarket catalytic shopping. Care to share that recall info with me?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
537 Posts
A few people have had this issue lately on here including myself, becoming more common on higher mileage 2.5's it seems. Specifically happening on the flex pipe before the converter; mine had absolutely no signs of corrosion but seemed like a stress fracture. I contacted SOA and they replaced the part for free. There are a few threads on here pertaining to other people with the issue.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,389 Posts
... I just got a recall notice this morning regarding the "Front exhaust pipe assembly" possibly being "installed under a stressful condition", which may cause cracks.
What is the specific recall number? Even better, can you post a scan of the notice you received?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,389 Posts
Service campaign bulletin. Affects a small number of cars... 2620 vehicles.
Thanks. The recall appears limited to PZEV engines that have had the manifold/catalytic converter assembly replaced by a dealer with a non-PZEV part.

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
It doesn't help, but I just got a recall notice this morning regarding the "Front exhaust pipe assembly" possibly being "installed under a stressful condition", which may cause cracks.
Why does it not help? If what you received from Subaru Canada is a "Recall" notice, then that should apply.

A recall notice sent to owners is just that; the car is being recalled. Recall notices go out only to registered owners of cars that are covered by the recall, so, according to SCI's records, your car is one of them. Some recalls involve only an inspection, but repair if that reveals the problem is present. Others involve immediate action/repair etc., not subject to a prior inspection verification. What does the recall notice say?

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,355 Posts
Not sure how it works in Canada. In the US, the cat is part of the emissions warranty that generally goes for 100k miles. My '13 2.5 catalytic converter (PZEV) was replaced this year at approx 75k miles, all under the emissions warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts