Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,285 Posts
Remove head unit; Disassemble; Reverse procedure.

Try unhooking your battery for a few minutes, pressing on the brake pedal while its disconnected to withdraw all the current from the system then reconnect and turn the head unit on to see if it resets and spits them out.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean 120k
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm afraid it's screwed up because you can hear it running but nothing is going on.

i will try this though.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,926 Posts
Mine just did this, going tio be awhile before I have time to tackle something that far down the list.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,179 Posts
I have already given the details here once - but in my 2003 OB Lim - this happened to me 4 times in the first year. Each time Subaru put in a DIFFERENT head unit. Only about a year or 2 later did I read about SOA having an "issue" with this happening a lot.

The drag was - the dealer Irvine Subaru - the biggest dealer in So Cal - wasnt authorized (or equipped or trained or something) to take the CDs out - so each time - they had to send the head unit somewhere - and I got my cds in the mail about 2 months later. This was irritating enough - till the last time they LOST my CDS - and pretty much shrugged their shoulders when I got mad about it. They also said they change them with "refurbished" units - and the last time they gave me a "new" unit - and it STILL happened again.
So that time - I took them out myself - and it was NOT an easy or quick process. TONS of screws have to be taken off to get to the point of actually getting the stuck CDs out.

I ended up sending Subaru back the last unit in many pieces with a letter of my disappointment. I bought a Clarion aftermarket and never had the problem again - 240K later.

good luck to you.

edit: by the way - the point of my rant was to caution you if you have Subaru deal with it, also to say that it wasnt a quick process to get the CDS out. I have taken apart laptops and fixed them down to their cores, I am not unfamiliar with taking small electronics apart - and that head unit, to get the stuck CDs out (at least the one on the 2006 OB Lim) was no small task.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts