Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been posted before, I looked around a bunch and couldn't find it.

I just got my first Outback (09) and within days I've already got the dash lighting up. It started when I gave it some gas to see what it can do (as one does with a new car) and my CEL went on and stayed on. I found the error code, saw it was a misfire, changed the spark plugs, and I was back in business with the light off.

NOW, when I accelerate hard, not when driving normally, My CEL and traction control lights flash for a couple seconds, but when I let off the gas and get back into normal rpms they go off.

I've read that this may be an emissions problem, but I can't get the error code because they go off within seconds of coming on.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
minor misfires that don't store, might have to grab them with a monitor and find a steep grade where you can go wide open throttle for a few seconds to replicate. (just might come up as minor misfires and no other codes though).

something like a front / air fuel sensor, or another like that degrading.

as time goes by it might make for a few codes other then a misfire.

good news: if all it is, is a old front o2 sensor its like $70-$120 for a new denso brand sensor plus a quick half a hour install and the silliness stops.
(and these are cheaper then other things like MAP / MAF)

how old are the front A/F (o2) sensors in miles and age?

______

and this is like a regular thread here...and in the real world of buying used cars. (subaru or not).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,048 Posts
and the one there that controls the whole car is the A/F (o2) known as sensor 1 bank 1, (the front one before the cats, on the front passenger side of a US spec car).

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,495 Posts
Could be emissions related but worth checking basics first. Bad gas can do this. Old (or incorrect) spark plugs can do this. Leaky valve cover gaskets can allow oil into the plug wells, where it degrades the ignition wires and causes this. And yes, a laggy old oxygen sensor can do it too.

Verify good gasoline, then pull the spark plugs to check their condition and the wires too.

These cars are picky about plugs. NGK or bust.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,048 Posts
is this a plain 2.5, a turbo 2.5, or a 3.0 engine ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts