Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'08 XT 5MT, NBP
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 OB XT (160K miles) has been throwing the CEL, Cruise Control, Sport Mode, & VDC lights coupled with rough idle. The CEL occasionally blinks too, but then goes back to simply remaining illuminated. The car is running generally rough, sometimes slightly rougher than other times, which is usually felt while stepping on the gas. I'm hoping it's just a coil pack (or the like), but wanted to get the question posted here before I call the dealer.

Thanks gang,

·
Registered
'08 XT 5MT, NBP
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, I only have a VAG (VW/Audi) code reader. I do think my dad has a more generic one, so I'll see if I can borrow it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Wrx wagon 5mt
52 Posts
You can find them pretty cheap at an auto parts store. Certain auto parts stores will read your codes for free as well.

·
Registered
'08 XT 5MT, NBP
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I will try to report back ASAP with the code(s). From my description, any ideas of the cause? I also can detect and increase in exhaust smell.

·
Registered
2004 Wrx wagon 5mt
52 Posts
I bet you have a misfire on a cylinder, leading to a rich exhaust smell. The codes will help sort it out.

·
Registered
'08 XT 5MT, NBP
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, that's exactly what I'm thinking. I'll be connecting the code reader tomorrow and will report back my findings. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
'08 XT 5MT, NBP
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just connected the code reader. The code is P0302, so likely the coilpack for cylinder #2, I believe.

·
Registered
'08 XT 5MT, NBP
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brought it to the dealership since it doesn't appear I can easily access the cylinder #2 to swap out the coilpack.

·
Registered
2004 Wrx wagon 5mt
52 Posts
Yeah, they're pretty tight in there. In my wrx, I have to remove a bunch of stuff to access them, battery, washer reservoir ect. It could also be a bad plug. How many miles on the plugs?

·
Registered
'08 XT 5MT, NBP
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good question re: how many miles are on the spark plugs. Car currently has 160K, but I'm not sure how long ago the plugs were replaced. I'd have to check the service receipts which are in the car, at the dealership. Suffice to assume the spark plugs are also hard to access, since they're in line with the coilpacks?

Thanks

·
Registered
'08 XT 5MT, NBP
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They changed both the coilpack and spark plug on cylinder 2 but the problem persists. They claimed whomever last installed the spark plugs stripped the threads and that spark plug is not seating properly, so it's not making a good seal. Since the problem recently surfaced, and I haven't had the plugs changed lately, I'm very suspicious. Dealership wanted $2K to pull the engine, fix the threads issue and do compression and other tests, but said that may not resolve the problem if it's coming from inside the cylinder, in which they'd swap out the engine for $10K. Hah! I've since had the car towed to an independent garage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts