Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 OBW 2.5 with 125,000 miles. CEL came on and mileage dropped so I pulled codes and had the p0420 code. I replaced the pre-cat O2 sensor (rear o2 was replaced last year) Seemed like things were o.k. but the CEL returned after a few hundred miles and symptoms are still occurring - pulled codes again and auto parts guy said it was the Catalytic Converter. I live in MN and the few days we've had when temp gets above freezing in the last few weeks the CEL will go off and symptoms improve but then return with colder temps. I should also note that I drove with the CEL and symptoms for a few months prior to replacing the pre-cat o2 sensor.

After looking on the forum it seems the Cat doesn't fail very often so I'm curious if anyone has any other suggestions. I am strangely having the exact same occurrence of events with my wife's 99 honda accord (although her o2 sensor was a lot easier to replace!)

·
Registered
2020 Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did read through the p0420 thread yesterday and it may have convinced me that my issue is not the Cat but more likely a sensor etc. The weather warmed up a bit yesterday and the CEL turned off and my performance improved. I am also thinking I should check and likely changed the ATF as that may be related to the delayed shifts and I suppose may in turn affect MPG's?

The p0420 thread is helpful but for an amateur with no garage and limited funds to have a mechanic run diagnostics that is still a frustrating code for sure! Thanks for the help canubaru!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts