Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 LLB OBW with about 97K miles on it; struts were bad along with the LCA and front sway bar bushings (loose feel, clunking noises when going over bumps, pot holes, etc.). I had the struts replaced with the new KYB Excel-G units along with the rest of the needed bushings and whatnot. The mechanic says the car drives great, everything feels nice and tight as it should, but they have CEL codes for both the ABS *and* the traction control. :mad:

If anybody has any suggestions on what might cause this I'd appreciate it because I'd really like to have my car back this weekend...

Thanks, Carl

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,647 Posts
tone ring sensor wire intact?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what the tone ring sensor wire is (nor where it would be, for that matter); but the car is exhibiting other electrical gremlins as well. The airbag warning light on the instrument panel is intermittent, every now and again in the morning the stereo display freaks out (for lack of a better term, random pixels flash on and off although the music system works fine), and a couple of weeks ago the navigation system just rebooted itself for the better part of an hour...

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 5MT
51 Posts
Check all wheel speed sensors, it's possible they broke one or more when they removed the struts. But if they have any sort of value for their reputation just bring it back tell them it's messed up after they repaired it and they need to fix their mistake.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Check the wheel speed sensors. They need to be perfectly cylindircal in shape with clear square edges. It is not uncommon for a tone ring to crack while having suspension work done.

Check to make sure your battery terminals are tight.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,647 Posts
Check the wheel speed sensors. They need to be perfectly cylindircal in shape with clear square edges. It is not uncommon for a tone ring to crack while having suspension work done.

Check to make sure your battery terminals are tight.
good point, could be a bad ground or cable.

how old is the battery?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The right front wheel speed sensor was shorted out, other ones were fine. The Subaru person said based on what they saw they didn't think it was related to the suspension work. The intermittent airbag light was traced to a short in the light cluster near the sunroof switch. All is now good. The battery is only a couple of years old, and tested out just fine.

·
Registered
'06 Outback 2.5i
1 Posts
Same issue here

I just replaced the front struts on my '06 Outback and am having the same issue with the check engine and ABS dash lights flashing. My OBD code reader is flashing P0500 which points to the wheel speed sensor. Also, when driving and braking as slower speeds, the ABS pulses intermittently.

Is there a way for me to test the wheel speed sensors to troubleshoot this problem? Are there any other suggestions on fixing the issue?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts