Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback LL.Bean H6 3.0 (aka: RubySue)
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got my first check engine light on my 2003 Outback LL Bean.
Took it to Advance Auto and they said the code read "O2 Sensor Bay 1"

she could not provide me with a generic error code...

can anyone help me with that?

.... also...I would love a link that shows location of said sensor....I may try cleaning it before I replace it...

...now, if I have to replace it.. should I spend the $100 on Denso #234-9010 or would I be ok with this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-15730-Oxygen-Universal-Fitment/dp/B000BZL08A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346078701&sr=8-1&keywords=2003+Outback+O2+Sensor[/ame]

Thanks in advance!
Donald

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,956 Posts
post the code (Pxxx) so we can determine which sensor it it is.

did they clear the code? how quickly did it return?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the wonderful Advance Auto representative could not provide me with a code... the ONLY 'code' she would give me is "O2 Sensor Bay 1"

which I understand is the Air Fuel Ratio sensor

Light came on, I have not reset it yet...

·
Premium Member
17,956 Posts
each Bank has 2 for 4 total.

try going to another parts store.

mileage, condition of the car - any other recent problems/work done?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome! Glad i live in such a crappy town! My mechanic 'didn't have time to run the CEL check' and AAuto is too stupid to get me a real code. Now I have to drive another hour round trip just to diagnose. #frustrating

(glad it's just an O2 sensor!!)

·
Premium Member
17,956 Posts
awesome! Glad i live in such a crappy town! My mechanic 'didn't have time to run the CEL check' and AAuto is too stupid to get me a real code. Now I have to drive another hour round trip just to diagnose. #frustrating

(glad it's just an O2 sensor!!)
in all fairness, we really don't know what it is yet. The codes are helpful, but only occasionally actually point to a 'bad part'. They indicate a system which doesn't meant the expected thresholds or performance the ECU is looking for.

That is, P0420 could be a bad rear O2 sensor, or an exhaust leak.

maybe someone here can recommend a mechanic near you in Virginia..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually do most of my own work. The whole exhaust system was replaced last year and is still under warranty.... I have a feeling it's just carbon build-up from Ethanol on a specific sensor.... but I will certainly be repairing this myself unless it involves engine work or welding.....which, I doubt...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'll just look around and clean all sensors I find... I'm sure one of them will be it.

...just to reiterate... the sensor that the "Advance Auto Diagnostic Machine" pointed to the Fuel/air ration sensor in bay 1.... wherever that is... are there really 5 of those? seems like overkilL!

·
Premium Member
17,956 Posts
well, BANK 1 is your passenger side.

seriously though, get a foot or so of copper tubing, put 3-4 feet of vacuum line on it and listen all over for an exhaust leak. THe copper can even be gently bent to listen in tight spots.

Also, try changing the PCV valve if it hasn't been changed or cleaned.

If you do your own work, and particularly given how uncooperative the parts shop and mechanic were - you might consider buying a scanner for the codes. i have a $99 one, you can get them for $30, you can get cables or bluetooth units that let you use smartphones or laptops. I admit though, I loan mine out more than I use it myself.

you need to do more diagnosis before throwing parts at the car. Especially if it's driving OK.

how many miles on the car? How old is the battery?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, thanks for those sensor positions!! appreciate it! That'll get me started for sure!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool ,thanks for the heads up...I'll start with cleaning the sensors and go back to a different store for another CEL reading... I may have to ask Santa for a code reader this year!!

·
Premium Member
17,956 Posts
well, you COULD try swapping sides with the sensors to see if the problem follows it to the other bank. But you will still need to be able to read the code(s).

if you can't get 'em loose, try it with as warm an exhaust as you dare. You may need to get a special O2 sensor socket if open end wrench doesn get it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
5 total sensors;

I inspected the passenger side..(noticed that only the driver side exhaust was completely new...) the elbow in between #3 (pic) and the gasket on the end has a crack in the metal and I can see what I assume is fire resistant insulation.

What is the technical name for that part? That may be the culprit! .. haven't gotten the sensor off yet... but I'm fairly certain that crack isnt Kosher...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, anyone know the name/part number of that downpipe/elbow in between #3 and the gasket on the end?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dern, so that looks like more of a 'specialty' part that is normal installed with the straight pipe and cats....

·
Premium Member
17,956 Posts
might just be a heat shield. can you hear exhaust coming out of it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts