Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 JDM Outback 3.0R, 5EAT
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 times over the past 2 months CEL flashed fast immediately after starting the engine. It then stops flashing if I turn the car off, wait and then back on again. No codes are set and the car then behaves normally.

99% of the time this doesn't happen. The vehicle has been serviced at the dealership, most recently the big 100k km service.

I read on this site the flashing means an active misfire was detected. What could it mean if it only happens occasionally when starting the engine ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi I used Rom Raider and FreeSSM to confirm no codes were stored, just to double check as the check engine light went away after restarting the engine again

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of scanner are you using?
Hi I used Rom Raider and FreeSSM to confirm no codes were stored, just to double check as the check engine light went away after restarting the engine again

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Keep a scanner in the glove box. Next time it happens, pull the code before turning off the car.
For now, you can post your LV snapshot and watch your roughness counts.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A quick update... Took the car to the Subaru dealership who connected into the ecu and found no code history. The tech said he’d never seen this before when I showed him a phone video of the CEL fast flash. To their credit they offered to double check the work from the last service and spark plug change. In the meantime I’ve got Tactrix permanently recording misfire counts to an SD card so if does happens again we will know which cylinder isn’t happy. I double checked the owner manual that said fast flashing check engine light means a misfire has been detected which could damage the catalytic converters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick follow up... A couple months on and this hasn't happened again. The main difference that I am aware of is that when I plug in Tactrix Open Port I now push it reasonably firmly into the cars OBD-II port.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final follow up ... the wiring connecting the back of the OBD-II port was strained and behaved strange when connected. Perhaps somebody left the panel hanging by the cable or something. Replaced the OBD-II port with a unit from www.iwireservices.com and no more problems.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
203 Posts
Thanx for the update!

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts