Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
RIP:1998 Outback!! 2.5
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm in SE PA and we got a little snow yesterday so of course i had to go out a play in it. My CEL came on yesterday and I was hoping to find some info on where to start trying to resolve the issue.

1st the car- 1998 Lego OBW, 5spd, 197,000k on it... its well maintained. recently replace all timing idlers, timing belt, water pump, and both head gaskets... all with subaru parts.

side note about 15 months ago one of my cats flanges fell apart beyond repair so i grabbed some 2.5" UEL headers and got a custome 2.5" exhaust built, just a high flo cat and a muffler on it now.

2nd the codes- P0130 and P0136.

Thanks in advance guys... i always seem to be able to fix these cars myself with the info found on forums like this. Beats spending 100s with a mechanic!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Those are O2 sensor codes as you probably are already aware. A few possible causes that can be tricky to narrow down.

I'd first clear the codes and see which one comes back first.

Are the sensors original 15 year old sensors? They can last that long, they can also fail.

Make sure no wiring or clips was damaged during the exhaust work.

Any exhaust leaks at all, gaskets?
How many miles have you put on the car since the exhaust work?

With all the recent work done I would anticipate running the car another 100,000+ miles so the cost of an O2 sensor is rather meager. Sometimes I use cases like this to justify some preventative maintenance that might head off problems later, gain a mpg back over the long haul, pay for itself, etc. If it fixes the problem, awesome. If not, then no loss to me.

·
Registered
RIP:1998 Outback!! 2.5
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah.. i'm changing the oil tomorrow so i'll probably pull the negative cable off of the battery then.. see what code/codes pop back up, and while its up on the ramps i'll double check the wiring on the front sensor. any way to tell if the o2 sensor is bad by looking at it? the sensors are new with the exhaust... probably about 20k since the exhuast was put on.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,470 Posts
yeah.. i'm changing the oil tomorrow so i'll probably pull the negative cable off of the battery then.. see what code/codes pop back up, and while its up on the ramps i'll double check the wiring on the front sensor. any way to tell if the o2 sensor is bad by looking at it? the sensors are new with the exhaust... probably about 20k since the exhuast was put on.
Well, you can see if a chunk of ice tore the wires off, but that's about it until you get an electrical meter to do further testing. Worth a peek since you'll be there for the oil job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts