Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'97 subaru outback(legacy) wagon
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't want to sound gay but everyone here is really nice. it's kind of creepy, but refreshing. it reminds me of a church without the whole religion thing. in every thread i have been through..."oh nice pic" or "i see your point but i disagree" or something non negative. my kind of people:D how does one come to love a station wagon? i ask myself this same question with another car> does anyone else rather enjoy the look of an American Motor Company(AMC) Eagle wagon? i dig it. AMC sure was a beater of a company but they did what they could. time for sleep
sincerley me

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
We enjoy spreading the love here :)

Have you got a pic of that AMC ? I've never seen it before.

·
Registered
'97 subaru outback(legacy) wagon
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I wanted an Eagle wagon for years before the Outback even existed. I still want one now, even though it would be nearly redundant as a vehicle type for me to own.

You must understand, I have a sentimental attatchment to AMC, as my first car was a '73 Hornet 360. I'd love to put a Hornet front clip on an Eagle wagon just to surprise people.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I liked the Eagle wagon, but I was a little young when they were new vehicles. And as for wagons, I have always liked wagons and hatchbacks for the real hauling you can use them for unlike sedans. And yes, it is nice to come visit the site and converse with people you most likely will never meet, and have interesting things to spout back at each other. Brian

·
Registered
1998 2.5L SOHC Subaru Legacy Outback
111 Posts
yea, unlike most other forums ive been to, this one is very, how would i say, clean. i was born too late for amc's, but this one lady at the ymca drove an eagle sedan, and I always thought it was a ford topaz or something, then one day I went over to it and looked at the logo, not recognizing it I showed it to a friend who was older that me, and he said "thats an AMC you dork!"

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Oh sure the board is pretty clean and quiet, but in the admins-only areas, we mods are more like the Three Stooges in a hall of mirrors.

:eek:

·
Submod , ,
2000 BMW R1150gs
3,012 Posts
When I was in school I was never too impressed with the AMC body style but thought the raised 4 X look was pretty cool and imagined that they were a lot of fun to drive.

This forum is a good place to get information and share ideas without getting flamed or harassed. Since joining I've been very welcomed here though I must admit that in the beginning I was a little leery as I've seen other forums which were not so nice, and that's putting it mildly. It's a real shame when people feel they have to be aggressive and ugly to others in order to feel good about themselves.

·
Registered
05 OB XT Ltd; 98 OB Ltd
129 Posts
You started this thread with:"i don't want to sound gay but everyone here is really nice. it's kind of creepy..."

It's true that the people who post on these boards are, on the whole, a considerate and tolerant bunch. Perhaps you'd consider extending the same courtesy. An easy start would be to refrain from remarks like "I don't want to sound gay, but..."

Actually, I'm not sure what 'sounding gay' means, but if it's marked by demonstrations of civility and simple good will,...well, the world could sure use more of it.

·
Registered
1998 2.5L SOHC Subaru Legacy Outback
111 Posts
Totally, Its not gay to say someone is nice just because youre courteous doesnt mean you are gay and the ones who act courteous are persecuted for it, what a twisted world we live in. the phrase youre gay, thats gay, this is gay, etc, etc, is way overused, and its lost all meaning.

·
Submod , ,
2000 BMW R1150gs
3,012 Posts
I hope it dose loose its meaning but I think more importantly is that its use is derogatory and demeaning (even though that was not the intention here) while suggesting that to be nice is to be gay and to be gay is to be weak.

I agree with Whitlow that if saying something or someone is "gay" is ...
"marked by demonstrations of civility and simple good will,...well, the world could sure use more of it."

Cheers!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
It's a newer meaning of the slang term 'gay' and not the first time it has happened. "Gay' used to mean colorful as in the name of the Gay Head cliffs at Martha's Vineyard ... or, for example, every Christmas, thousands of homosexual bashers sing "don we now our gay apparel" and must surely wonder what the **** they're singing about...

:p

To use 'gay' as meaning something is wrong kind of sounds to me like circling back around to the older meaning of 'queer' as strange or odd.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 111,000+ miles
5,168 Posts
I was never a big fan of the word usage of "gay." I actually know a wide array of homosexual people, in a sense it seems like the word "gay" to them is like the "N" word to black people. Although not so rigid in who can use it, the "gay" people I know do mind if you use that word in a joking or lighthearted sense, or just plain non-deragatory. I call my buddy Doyle (a VERY open homosexual) a "gay-ass" all the time and thats just how we kid around.

I'm kinda pissed about the resurgance of the usage of old terminology in pop culture. I mean like "tomfoolery," "shenanigans," etc. In my youth I was always one known for using random olde tyme slang and now it seems like the thing to do. Ah I don't really care, I'll call someone a "lame-ass" if they follow trends like that...

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Another thing you see in the media is British speech like "at the end of the day" and "spot on" among many others.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts