Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken the center console area from under the radio back and swapped it with say a second gen that has the cup holders. I found a 2003 sedan that i have taken some parts off of, and every time i look at the cup holder section i wonder... my gf has a thing for obnoxiously large foam cupped fountain drinks from the gas station.
Will the consoles bolt in clean, or would i have to mod attach points etc. The sedan doesn't have the all weather pack so i can see that as an issue, but if anyone has tried for better or worse please share your experience.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The answer is no, it doesn't hot swap. From below the shifter back matches up perfectly, but the) hump around the shifter is wider in the 1st gen wagons then in the 2nd gen sedans( doner car is a 2003 legacy sedan base)

I have made the cuts on the sedan console to fit my outback now i have to cut my original center and put the two together(gulp) i think i might go find a spare center console from another 1st gen first. I will post updates here if i mange to get it to work. Also i need to figure out button issues, i only have two button attach points, but my outback has heated seats and heated wipers, all three of which are stock on the center console between the seats originally. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback/2.5L/5MT/173k and counting...
19 Posts
Please keep this updated i am curious to see if this works because if it does i will do the same thing. I dont mind chopping up and mod-ing if necessary. It would be alot better im not a fan of the factory cupholders that drip all over your radio and shifter lol. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have it installed on a day to day basis right now. I will post a pic of the temp job tomorrow. My problem currently is the all weather package buttons. Cutting is absolutely a must, I pulled another 1st Gen center to hack up for the mod, in case I farmed it up royally. I have rough cuts still, as you will see, you need the section from the dash to just behind the shifter from the 1st Gen. This includes making a cut of the plate over the shifter. The second Gen center console is longer, so you will lose space between it and the rear seat. The arm rest also sits higher, but frankly I think this is a good thing. When I post I will take the console hybrid apart so you can see where I made the cuts. Also if anyone has a good place to put my butt warmer buttons, as well as my wiper deicer button I am open for suggestions...

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
What about mounting the buttons on the side of the console by the shifter? Like near-ish to where your shin/knee would be if you leaned it towards the shifter. I feel like there's enough room? You'd know better than me. Would look really clean there.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
I honestly think you cut too much, too soon.
If you had kept the longer bits up the sides of the 2nd Gen. console piece, you could've made cuts on the back side and angled them in to lay over the 1st Gen. console in such a way you could sort of 'mold' them in. You may have been able to tuck the hold down tabs on the 2nd Gen. console at the front into the space between the upper 'pod' of your 1st Gen. dash and the stock forward portion of the console.
See the pic of the piece in this thread to see what I mean.
I'm sure you'd have to trim some material to make it lay in against the 1st Gen. console, but that's better than trying to make the two blunt ends fit as you have them now.

ETA: To accommodate your seat warmer switches, take out the coin holders and graft in the 2nd Gen. switches. You might find the harness is plug and play (I don't know), but even if its not, it'll blend in well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The shifter on a second gen is substantially wider then on the first gen, which is why i cut off what i did. I am in the process of molding the plastic down to a closer fit, i will then use silicone calk to fill in any gaps after i paint all parts a matching color. There is still a lot of work to do, when i finish i will posy final photos. I have not been making much headway as i have an abscessed tooth for a bit now...

·
Registered
98 obw 2.5dohc..auto & 99 obw 2.5dohc...auto
147 Posts
The shifter on a second gen is substantially wider then on the first gen, which is why i cut off what i did. I am in the process of molding the plastic down to a closer fit, i will then use silicone calk to fill in any gaps after i paint all parts a matching color. There is still a lot of work to do, when i finish i will posy final photos. I have not been making much headway as i have an abscessed tooth for a bit now...
any updates on the progress?? I swapped in a 2nd gen shifter to my 99OBW and I am trying to decide how to trim the shifter out.... I'll try and post some pictures of it tonight. Reason I ask, is because I have the center console from a 2000 limited and thought about trying to mate it up to fit.

Maybe I'll just take all the dash trim from the 2000 and make it work.... I wonder if the heater controls are compatible.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts