Subaru Outback Forums banner

Center cap part # question

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Esher127 
#1 ·
Today I picked up 4 wheels from an 06 LLBean to replace the heavily corroded wheels on my XT. The wheels I picked up are the indented 5-spoke wheels in a darker charcoal grey color. Here's my problem: 2 wheels have center caps, 2 do not. The back of the center caps that I have list part #28821SA030. If I buy 2 center caps online that match that part number, will they be the correct shade of dark grey? Or did Subaru share that part number with both the bright silver version of this wheel and the dark grey version? I can't tell from any online descriptions... they are all listed as "silver" and say they fit a whole list of vehicles.

Any help would be appreciated!!

#2 ·
Even if it is a pretty good match, it will have to be placed alongside 12 year old caps. So I'd take one of three approaches here:

(a) Find the cheapest online price for all four caps, and replace all four of them together.
(b) Buy two, see how they look, if you don't like it, buy two more.
(c) Buy two, and make sure they are on the driver's side so you see them when you get in and out and still feel pretty good about the condition of your car. Who cares what the passenger thinks, anyway? It's an Outback, not a BMW; dependability and durability are supposed to be what impresses them!

#3 ·
I know there might be a slight color difference due to age, I'm fine with that.

My problem is that Subaru offered this wheel in 2 different colors: a bright silver, and a dark grey. If I order center caps and they are for the bright silver wheel, they'll look TERRIBLE in the dark grey wheels I have and since everyone lists the color as simply 'silver' I can't tell if I'm buying the correct color or not.

The wheels I'm talking about (not my car):

#4 ·
Welp, ordered some center caps off of ebay that were the same part number and listed as 'gunmetal' in color. Turns out they are significantly darker than the wheels I have.

Not sure what to do now. I'm not just going to keep ordering center caps hoping that I get a match. Kinda wishing I hadn't bought the wheels at all, now.

#9 ·
Thank you. It's just weird that this part number doesn't match the 2 center caps I have that came with the wheels. But I ordered 2 more center caps from ebay that matched the part number of center caps that came with the wheels and they don't match. So... I don't know.

Also that site wants $13.65 in shipping for 2 center caps and that's kinda ridiculous.

For what it's worth, here's pics to help:

The center cap on the right came with the wheels and matches perfectly. The center cap on the left came from ebay. You can see that the one from ebay is a lot darker, but it's the same part number.

Here's the ebay center cap in the wheel... looks terrible:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.