Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remove the center console arm rest rear panel (around rear facing A/C vents) to install additional power / cig. lighter socket. Anyone knows where the clips may be and how to remove it, without damaging them?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Any Subaru I've had the center console is all one piece, with a cutout for the cupholder (or in your case ac vents). I don't believe the rear has a seperate cover. You'll have to start with the shifter, remove the bezel and go back to remove screws and take the whole console out.

Even if it does have a piece to remove, I'd say it would still be easier to access everything and figure it out with the whole console out. I think there are a couple screws inside the console too.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rear cover of the arm rest on 2013 seems to be a thin one piece panel with cut-off openings for rear facing A/C vents. I don't think it's attached with screws to the arm rest console at all! I just want to see, if anybody out there took it off yet ... I want to add cig. lighter/power outlet there for kids or anybody sitting in rear seats have access to power...I would run an extension from the power outlet inside the arm rest through to that outlet...The cup holders are up front but the A/C outlets (on 2013 OB) are in the back of the arm rest.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Rooby ... I want to remove the rear cover from the center consolde ARM REST assembly (not the console that you have attached pictures...) It's the one between the front seats, where your elbow is resting.....back side of it..... with 2 A/C vents facing rear seat...I should have been more specific in the heading of my post ... my bad ....

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I think someone is going to have to pull the console and get a good look at the underside. It probably snaps into the back of the console but there's not much room on the "seam" for an interior tool to pry it off. How ever it's attached it feels pretty solid. For me the risk of damage working blind is greater than the difficulty removing the entire console. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think someone is going to have to pull the console and get a good look at the underside. It probably snaps into the back of the console but there's not much room on the "seam" for an interior tool to pry it off. How ever it's attached it feels pretty solid. For me the risk of damage working blind is greater than the difficulty removing the entire console. YMMV.
Would you have a tutorial or anything as to how to remove the center arm rest assembly?

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it is attached with screws from the inside. I installed the 110v outlet and had to take it apart. Here is the link to the instructions from sol parts.

https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/redirect.php?action=url&goto=subaruonlineparts.com/pdf/H7110AJ100.pdf

-Mike.
Bingo... thank you, thank you, thank you....
I am not planning to put the 110V there, but just a marine grade cig/power outlet with 2 USB adaptors; one reg and one for iPad (they happen to have 2 different power output ratings).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not to hijack but the AC outlet was something I would like to add. I read the PDF and it seems somewhat reasonable but I couldn't tell where the inverter gets its power from - is the factory wire harness already under the seat and it just needs plugging in?

Also is it me or is it weird the port is missing the ground prong? All inverters I've had before had it.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes - but, after reviewing those charts (from deputy91) I think I am just going to add 12V surface mounted socket and screw it into that rear center arm rest panel under the A/C outlets (and run extension from the socket that is inside the arm rest console). I refuse to remove the seat, have it re-calibrated, etc, etc. I just bought a surface mounted 12V socket from eBay Australia (Made in Sweden - wow!).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah getting the seat re-calibrated would be a PITA - but from reading it sounds like that only applies to the passenger's seat not the drivers if you have he HK system.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That maybe right but isn't it easier just to screw 2 screws into the panel and run 16gauge wires to power the surface mounted socket?
I don't really have use for 110V outlet; just want to power items that can be powered by USB outlets. And the kids and passengers in rear seats will be happy. The one I found on eBay Australia looks pretty good! I will post pics, once it has been istalled.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Also is it me or is it weird the port is missing the ground prong? All inverters I've had before had it.
Huh, never thought about that before. On the one hand, yeah - all the inverters I've seen have ground, too. But on the other hand - how? There is no ground!

As for the directions - isn't the seat-removal just for the fact that the inverter is being installed on the floor under the seat? Just removing the center console doesn't seem to require that the seat be removed. Or am I missing something...

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Read 15 pages that Deputy91 posted / attached ... it's there.... I think it's more to do with air bags than memory - not sure though!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If unbolting or removing the passengers seat for the installation of this product it will be necessary
to re-calibrate the Occupant Detection System.

Seems like it's just the passenger seat, most likely to activate and deactivate the passenger airbag. Still doesn't make sense why, but nonetheless.

And I'm still confused about what you are removing lol. I need to see some pics when you are done.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems like it's just the passenger seat, most likely to activate and deactivate the passenger airbag. Still doesn't make sense why, but nonetheless.

And I'm still confused about what you are removing lol. I need to see some pics when you are done.

I wanted to remove the rear panel of the center arm rest (between the front seats) so that I can drill a hole and install an additional 12V socket there; right below the rear A/C vents, that are there... what's confusing about that? This is on 2013 OB model! You may not have A/C outlets there on your model year ....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
11 Participants
Brownbag78
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing