Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
This is my first post on the forum. Bought a 2013 2.5 outback with Nav and eyesight. love the car so far except for this annoying and inconsitent click sound coming from my center console. It was random and because of that difficult to locate. A few weeks ago I had the center console removed down to the transmission tunnel and thought it was the rollover sensor but it wasn't. Well thier is a thread in hear that attributes the sound to the drivers seatbelt and that is correct.

If you take appart the 2 plastic housing pieces where the seatbelt inserts your will be able to see where it's coming from. It's coming from a spring that allows the buckle of the seat belt to flex in relation to the bracket that holds it to the seat. The passenger seat doesn't have this flex bracket. The sounds is made when this bracket is flexed and the spring is compressed somewhat, and only happens when it is in this position. This is why it only happens when the seat is buckled. It's because when the seat is buckled the tension flexes the joint and compresses the spring. It has nothing to do with the buckle being connected with the seatbelt. My best guess is that the spring will compress and then slip and the hit against the housing in which it sits. I was unable to stop the sound by applied grease or spray silicon to the spring. It still made the sound. Here's what I did and so far, two days and no annoying click.

I had a piece of firm foam that I had laying around. You want something that is firm but soft, not solid. Basically i used the foam and forced pieces of it around the spring and inbetween the joint which prevented it from easy flexion. It's not totally immobilized but it's just enought to keep away the click. I didn't want to use anything solid as that would probably make a different noise. I can say that without that stupid effing click the car feels totally different.

In this expereince I also learned that there are two wires that attacth to the inner piece of plastic housing around the buckle. When I first removed them I ripped one of the wires off of the circuit board. The result, no seat belt light, warning, our sound. I'm also not able to unbuckle if needed while driving with cruise on and it's not disabled. I decided to snip both wires because I found the alerts and warnings annoying.

Hope this helps you guys out.

Gibson

·
Registered
55 Posts
:29:

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
a couple different threads on this, nothing will change. just the sound of the shift interlock solenoid working. SOA doesn't see it as a problem nor do other manufacturers. if it bothers you that much, trade car in for a MT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your post! I had exactly the same problem of an intermittent clicking sound that I thought was coming from the center console on my '13 Outback. I did it most on cold mornings and rough roads. Very frustrating that I couldn't figure out what it was. It was an easy test to undo the seat belt and it would immediately stop. The hard part was getting it to make the sound with Subaru techs. I got lucky and a Subaru rep was in town and it made the sound so he told the service guys to replace the buckle. Nothing like having a quiet ride again!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks for your post! I had exactly the same problem of an intermittent clicking sound that I thought was coming from the center console on my '13 Outback. I did it most on cold mornings and rough roads. Very frustrating that I couldn't figure out what it was. It was an easy test to undo the seat belt and it would immediately stop. The hard part was getting it to make the sound with Subaru techs. I got lucky and a Subaru rep was in town and it made the sound so he told the service guys to replace the buckle. Nothing like having a quiet ride again!
I had the same issue for the first 10K miles in my 2012 - the passenger buckle mechanism would randomly click all the time (and it wasn't the actual buckle hitting the b pillar). However I never went to the dealer for it and it seems to have disappeared

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
wutbürger
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing