Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 07 2.5i automatic and have the center dash pocket between the two air vents.

The unit is made up of two pieces:
#12 Panel-center, assembly
#14 Pocket assembly center

I want to remove these to modify them but I do not want to break them when I pull them. Does anyone know where the clips are and when I slide a tool between it and the dash, to I angle in or angle out to pop them free?

On a side note, why does it get so hot in there? I am now wondering if it is even a good idea to hide my winch and auxiliary light switches in there.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry - did a google image search and came across these photos which pretty much answers my "how to safely remove" questions:

Still curious about the cause of heat and if recessing a light switch panel is a good idea...

·
Registered
18,719 Posts
Heat is from the multi-information display just below the pocket. There's a circuit board or two inside, which themselves generate some heat, and the display, which is a fluorescent type, also has heaters.

Might want to run the car for while and then check the temperatures in the area. I doubt it gets hot enough to affect good quality switches (the plastic of the pocket itself, and of thevent panel don't seem to be affected).

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heat is from the multi-information display just below the pocket. There's a circuit board or two inside, which themselves generate some heat, and the display, which is a fluorescent type, also has heaters.

Might want to run the car for while and then check the temperatures in the area. I doubt it gets hot enough to affect good quality switches (the plastic of the pocket itself, and of thevent panel don't seem to be affected).
Thanks for the reply. I figured some heat would come from running the heaters but didn't expect the majority of it to come from that little clock/trip computer. But, good to know there isn't anything else to worry about. I might wire in a small computer fan behind there just for fun. In any case, I am using stainless steel switches so I don't believe I'll have an issue - although the winch switch is in a plastic casing so I might take it out of that.
:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts