Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
05 FXT Premium, ton of Mustangs, and now a 97 Legacy OB!
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking the kiddos to school today in my wife's 97 LOB, and I noticed that when coasting it has a rotation banging that sounds like it is coming from the rear end.
As soon as you give it a little gas to be under load it goes away, and also when you hit the brakes, but them it comes back when you let off.

With it in the air the u-joints/cv's feel tight, rear diff fluid was full and a little dirty (draining it right now, no real signs of metal or anything in the fluid)
The center support bearing I can push up and down a bit, I don't know if that is acceptable?
Anyone had a problem like this? I searched and found a few threads but nothing that was seemingly resolved. Also my Buddy at the Local Suby Dealer said it does nto sound like anything they have really seen.

·
Registered
00 OB 07 OBXT
5,538 Posts
There shouldn't be any play in the carrier bearing. Is it the carrier mount or the bearing itself that has play ? If it's the mount, tighten it up and your probably done. If it's the bearing, talk to your buddy about a replacement or have it rebuilt. Some say the shaft isn't rebuildable, it is. You just have to compare the cost of a new shaft vs the rebuild job.

Check the u-joints for slop as well.

A few on here have had their shafts wear out at either the carrier or the u-joints, one actually dropped a shaft on the ground.

·
Registered
2011 obw 3.6R
133 Posts
ever find out what happened??
this sounds like what i'm experiencing

·
Registered
6 Posts
And for me, 9 years later. '06 2.5 EJ25 auto RHD. BIG clunk when changing reverse to drive not in selector but when power is applied.

Drives beautifully, but with a rhythmic donk sound, speed (not gear or revs) related. Also does it cruising in neutral but not when turning left. Not super loud just annoying. Getting slightly worse over time.

My guy says it is auto trans, changed oil out, no change. Needs an inner tie rod replacing drivers side in RHD. Front wheel bearings, ball joints, and axles were all replaced. This car has done a LOT of hard country miles and is approaching 200,000 miles.

Anyone?

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
745 Posts
And for me, 9 years later. '06 2.5 EJ25 auto RHD. BIG clunk when changing reverse to drive not in selector but when power is applied.

Drives beautifully, but with a rhythmic donk sound, speed (not gear or revs) related. Also does it cruising in neutral but not when turning left. Not super loud just annoying. Getting slightly worse over time.

My guy says it is auto trans, changed oil out, no change. Needs an inner tie rod replacing drivers side in RHD. Front wheel bearings, ball joints, and axles were all replaced. This car has done a LOT of hard country miles and is approaching 200,000 miles.

Anyone?
Check the transmission mounts as they can cause this sort of noise when worn or broken.

Seagrass

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for that. Another option. Are you referring to the clunk noise (not annoying but concerning) or the rhythmic donk noise from centre of vehicle (really concerning)

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
745 Posts
High are you referring to the shift thwack/clunk noise when engaging, or the rhythmic donk noise when cruising?
The clunk noise when engaging

Seagrass

·
Registered
6 Posts
The clunk noise when engaging

Seagrass
Thanks Seagrass the driving noise is much more concerning. I had a similar mystery noise last yr and mechanic who did wheel bearing hadn't locked off the wheel. Talk about dangerous could have killed us. He moved away unfortunately (or fortunately). Sounds like carrier bearing or more likely bushing or some kind of cv, as donk noise goes away when turning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok so I've disengaged AWD and tried it out in neutral. Still makes rhythmic donk based on speed not gears. Also doesnt do it turning left but does driving straight or going to right in a RightHandDrive vehicle. Wheel bearings ball joints and front axles all have been replaced. Right hand inner tie rod to be done soon.
Can the auto trans still make noise coasting in neutral? Anybody?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts