Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sprout needs front brakes within 10K miles and rears within 20-30 max.

My previous go to has been Centric Premium rotors and either Powerstop Z16 or Centric PosiQuiet ceramic pads.

Centric seems to have gone up a bit in price since I redid Kaylee's brakes a few years ago.

Also considering Raybestos Rust Prevention Technology (RPT) rotors and either Raybestos EHT hybrid pads or Centric PosiQuiet ceramics. Anyone like/hate the EHT pads?

I have no complaints from Centric parts, but Raybestos rotors are less than 75% of the price of Centrics. Anyone run them/had issues with their RPT line?

This is my wife's car, so quiet and low dust are good things.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,277 Posts
That " Rust Prevention Technology" sounds interesting and for that alone, I would give them a try. (My rotors ALWAYS rust on the braking-surface then the rust tears up the pads..... any relief from that process would be welcome.)

·
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, like all coated rotors I'm sure the pad contact area will flash rust easily once the coating wears off. I do like the coated hub area and internals though.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I just put Wagner coated rotors & Raybestos EHT pads all around on my '03. They are excellent so far, both are quality parts. My go-to was also Centric rotors, but the Wagners were a good bit cheaper.

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
What kind of prices are you finding on centric? Last time I did brakes on my 05 outback xt I got my centric rotors from Tire Rack. They were under $50ea front and $40ea in the rear.

Not exactly what I would call expensive or gone up in price?

*edit* Wow the Raybestos rotors are really cheap....$20ish on amazon. If you go with them curious to see how they hold up. I have been seeing the name pop up more and more on different forums.

·
Registered
97 OBW 5MT, 01 LLBean OBW, 03 RubiconTJ 5MT, 05 330cic ZHP 6MT, 07 530XiT AT, 07 Odyssey Touring
127 Posts
What kind of prices are you finding on centric? Last time I did brakes on my 05 outback xt I got my centric rotors from Tire Rack. They were under $50ea front and $40ea in the rear.

*edit* Wow the Raybestos rotors are really cheap....$20ish on amazon. If you go with them curious to see how they hold up. I have been seeing the name pop up more and more on different forums.
RockAuto is where I get my rotors and pads...I go for the centric rotors with the painted hubs and I use Akebono ceramic pads for the lack of brake dust. RockAuto usually has 5% coupon codes available too.....you just have to search for them.

-r

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
RockAuto is where I get my rotors and pads...I go for the centric rotors with the painted hubs and I use Akebono ceramic pads for the lack of brake dust. RockAuto usually has 5% coupon codes available too.....you just have to search for them.

-r
I have only ordered from them once. I got new rear hatch struts for my wagon from them...They don't work the greatest. The cyl. is larger in diam. so it rubs on the seal for the hatch. Could be a single case but when I order something I want to know if they say its going to fit it fits like OEM fits.

·
Registered
97 OBW 5MT, 01 LLBean OBW, 03 RubiconTJ 5MT, 05 330cic ZHP 6MT, 07 530XiT AT, 07 Odyssey Touring
127 Posts
I have only ordered from them once. I got new rear hatch struts for my wagon from them...They don't work the greatest. The cyl. is larger in diam. so it rubs on the seal for the hatch. Could be a single case but when I order something I want to know if they say its going to fit it fits like OEM fits.
On something like that, it's like whether you buy corn flakes from Walmart vs. Publix.....you have to know the brand and product you are buying....RockAuto is just the Walmart that has the good prices. Typically when deciding which non-manufacturer part I am planning to buy, I look up the different options to decide. Something like a strut, you'd thing would be straight forward, but obviously its not?!?!

-r

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
running centric rotors and pads on the front of my H4 car now. and been happy with them.
got them from partstrain.com as recommended for price by another member. (came in cheaper then rockauto,

...and in this case amazon's buy interface kind of sucks,...in choosing and price.)

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I put the Raybestos RPT Rotors on all of my cars now as the rust bothers me. I used Akebono pads as that is the most common Subaru OEM supplier (or at one time it was).

·
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

When I priced out RA it was about $120 + shipping for 4 Centric Premium rotors and $80 + shipping for 4 Raybestos RPT rotors. Both are in budget, but why pay an extra $40 I could use to fix whatever breaks next on Mal as long as they are good parts?

Posiquiet and EHT pads are pretty close in price, so not as much of a deal.

Reactions: jasonojordan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts